Talking to Coach about playing time

I have pitched 3 games and won all three games. i havent done anything bad yet but the coach has stopped starting me. its like im out of the starting rotation now and i have no idea why. the coach is really quite and never talks.

how should i talk to him without getting a grudge put on me?

The next time you talk to him just ask him if you’ll be starting any time soon, just real casually, idk how good your relationship is with your coach, most of our team including me is on a first name basis with our coach and we all get along with him real well (except when I forgot to bring the scorebook to our last game).

Tough. Two things: 1) Keep outworking everyone else and doing your job. That speaks volumes. 2) Have a chat with him. Keep it friendly. Say, Hey Coach, I can’t help but notice you’re not pitching me as much. Is there anything I can do to win that starting spot back?

Framing the question this way isn’t accusatory and I think will eliminate any possibility of him holding a grudge against you. Good luck!

Simple go up to your coach and ask, who pitching or am I pitching today. It shows that you have some intrest in pitching. So you will be on his mind. And when its your time to pitch, show and maintain your stats, to show that you are a key attribute to the pitching rotation.

When in doubt, just ask.

If I was coaching a pitcher and decided to stop starting him, and he didn’t take notice or wonder why he wasn’t pitching, I would be concerned.

It’s completely fine for you to ask why you aren’t starting anymore as long as you do it in a professional manner.

Stu

[quote=“Steven Ellis”]Tough. Two things: 1) Keep outworking everyone else and doing your job. That speaks volumes. 2) Have a chat with him. Keep it friendly. Say, Hey Coach, I can’t help but notice you’re not pitching me as much. Is there anything I can do to win that starting spot back?

Framing the question this way isn’t accusatory and I think will eliminate any possibility of him holding a grudge against you. Good luck![/quote]

Couldn’t agree more. Also, consider the entire team situation. Maybe your coach is searching for another reliable starter, and needs to give the other kids some innings to see what he has. In my son’s story, he pitched a total of 4 innings in a three week period’ even though he has a no-hitter and is the teams #1 pitcher. Given, it is Little League, but the coach was looking for a dependable #2 pitcher for the stretch run and the playoffs. The coach needed some innings to evaluate the other players in game situations. Now that the other kids have shown what they have (or don’t have), he’s back to pitching and leading the team to wins.

I was in the same situation more than just a few times, but at the other end of the stick. I hadn’t used two of our starters for a five straight games. There were reasons - had to do with the pitchers that were being used, rather than the ones that weren’t.

Any way … after one game, I had to walk back to the bullpen after forgetting something, and I noticed one of our starters sitting on a folding chair jotting something down in a small pocket notebook. Jokingly I asked him if he got any good numbers - handsome type, always attracted pretty girls. He looked me straight in the eye and said … and I quote…,
" I’m taking notes on that batting order … I know I haven’t been used lately, but I’ll be ready to go when needed coach."

That floored me! I tried to collect myself and say something… but I had to keep the confidence of the reasons why things were the way they were.

I never forgot how that pitcher approached that situation. He was professional and personable at the same time. Again, like I said, I never forgot that pitcher. When it came time for references, a good word, etc., it was a pleasure to help any way I could.

Coach B.