Taking the summer off...good or bad?

I am really considering taking the summer off of baseball and dedicating it to working out and getting slimmed down, quicker, and stronger.

If I do take the summer off from a team, I will be getting a pitching coach for the summer to keep me on target.

I have already committed to Green River Community College, so does it matter if I play summer ball?

For people in college mainly, but to anyone…Is taking the summer off of baseball…team wise…but still having a pitching coach a bad thing?

Although i have no experience with this because i have yet to take a summer off, i always look at it this way (from friends examples) Pitchers have a harder time taking a summer off than position players. Velocity drops and control varies. Although this may not be the case for everyone this is jus what i have seen myself. Also, velocity is not something that is too hard to regain, you jus wanna be 100% for your fall ball

anyone? Id really love some advice here.

Players that have great success in their baseball experience have kept a steady tempo with the game. Spring ball, summer baseball and fall baseball. But, they’ve always done so for a improvement, not just marking time with their friends. Some guys have played ball close to home, while others have traveled and still others have joined clubs in other towns and took up room and board in a sponsor’s home. And I’m not talking semi pro either.

If you have a definite reason to TRAIN, then train. If on the other hand your thinking of missing the greatest opportunity to learn the skills of this sport by doing something else…you and only you must weight the gains Vs the loss.

I’ve trained pitchers during the summer and the training schedule was no walk in the park. In fact, after two weeks, some guys wished that they stayed with summer ball… it was a lot easier. So, why did some]players chose to train full time with me as appose to playing ball? LEARNING…LEARNING…LEARNING…

This position … pitcher… is a craft, just like any other art form. It requires sacrifice, sweat, hours of doing the same thing over and over again. From the first thing in the moring to the last shower call during the evening, baseball consumes your life. No friends, no friends of friends. And forget a social life… it isn’t there scooter. So, before you think that a pitching coach who’s dedicated to your training is your friend… he’s/she’s not. There a pitching coach… nothing more … nothing less. This coach is going to demand things from you like marked improvement… session after session… and if you don’t produce… he/she is going to want to know FROM YOU why? If you don’t have an answer… or can’t keep up with your coach’s expectations… your gone. That’s a pitching coach.

Now a coach that nurses you along… and takes your money… is doing
just that…. taking your money.

Playing at a much higher level with the hopes of getting better is another move that should be weighted heavily. Fourteen and fifteen year olds seem to fall into this category more often then not. Usually, they end up
competing in an age bracket that’s for eighteen and nineteen year olds, and the only thing they end up doing is keeping their heads just above the water line… hitting the ground running… and learning absolutely nothing about the game or the position.

So, if your going to miss an entire five or more months of baseball and LEARNING to observe, try, experiment, interact with others and get your name and reputation out there… then you better be ready for some serious skills enhancement come next spring. This pitching coach that you’re going to be with should have a training program that’s defined into sessions that earmark certain aspects of the position and the game itself. You should be devoting at least five hours a session for at least three sessions a week. Start a notebook on everything you’ve absorbed from this coach. He/she should have an outline for you so you can make this decision based on expected improvement – session after session.

Coach B.

I my opinion a bad idea-nothing beats playing in a game under game situations.

If you want to try some things- find a rec league or a coach that will let you work on mechanics, pitches, or whatever. I would not take a summer off unless I was injured, Ian.

As long as you still practice its fine just keep up the practice

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am not intending to take the summer off of not playing at all. I am just taking the summer off from select baseball and just going to hook up with a pitching coach, keep my pitching up to par and hopefully get better.

And also train in the weight room and run a lot this summer.

So, what Im getting from the replies is that it is okay to take the summer off from a team, as long as you keep training still.

Thanks guys.

I would give anything to pitch another game…I mean the game is a game ( practice ? we’re talking a game, we’re not talkin practice ). personally I can’t imaging intentionally missing one for anything other than health or personal reasons . your time on the bump gets shorter every day…enjoy every outing.