Taking Performance Personally

I take my pitching performance personally. I threw 7 innings gave up 3 runs and was not happy. I always expect more. I have trouble dealing with the frustration of the game.

Don’t foreget: you can always do more and do better. What matters is that you put past performances behind you. I take my performance very seriously as well. But all you can do is improve for the next time you pitch. As long as you are always getting better at something you have nothing to be frustrated about. Take what you learned from the game and apply that to practice, too.

sounds like your looking for comfort and praise here…
if you dont like the results do everything in your power to make it better, train harder, focus harder

Then unless you’re very, very good more than likely you’ll burn out at some point and give it up. And all people will remember about you will be that you were a headcase.

Not trying to be rude, just sayn.

thats not true. I see guys like kevin youkilis and david ortiz get very frustrated after a strikeout or bad call. Youkilis seems to take the game very personally. I do not think they will burn out.

I do not throw water coolers or equipment. If you saw me at the field I have a very calm demeanor. I just take outings personally. As you can read from my other post, I do not like taking compliments. I want to be grounded and pitch like I have something to prove, every time I take the mound.

good, you should have something to prove to yourself. dont like the result? work harder.

but dont be one of those kids who looks depressed and wont talk because things didnt go his way, enjoy the f’ing game. take those compliments and give others out

The Cincinnati Reds once had a pitcher named Jay Hook who really took everything personally. He reminded one of the little girl with the curl in the old nursery rhyme; when he was good, he was very, very good, but when he was bad he stank on hot ice. On one occasion he was pitching against the Pirates, and he really stank on hot ice; the Pirates were eating him alive, converting everything he threw into line-drive extra-base hits some of which went over the fence and out of the ball park. It got to the point where manager Fred Hutchinson had to take him out of the game, and when Hook returned to the dugout he sat down in a corner and bemoaned the loss of his fast ball. It had up and deserted him.
Relief pitcher Jim Brosnan, who might have made a good pitching coach had he been so inclined, tried to explain to him that no pitcher has all his good stuff every time out. He said, “That’s when you learn this game. You have other pitches to throw; use them when your fast ball isn’t there.” But he might as well have been talking to the wall. Hook appeared not to hear him; he just sat there and moaned, over and over and over, “Without my fast ball I can’t pitch.” So Brosnan gave up trying to talk to him.
Hook didn’t last much longer in the majors after that. His defeatist attitude had gotten the better of him. A cautionary tale from the major league archives. 8)

And they are very, very good. Are you?

My son is very much the same way. Pretty damn good isn’t good enough. And I’ve said the same thing to him I posted here. Being hard on yourself is admirable, but it has to stay fun, or sooner or later it’ll wear you down.

Or get you to a point where you spend more time worried about being worried, I get that you are serious, you’ve spent a couple of whole threads talkin bout how you’re serious and don’t want compliments…ok, you want Some to know you’ve got all that under control, but still all that angst comes out. What you are doing is creating a persona…one not too dissimilar from another Red Sox, one Josh “I will destroy all enemies” Beckett…that being said, you could have worse choices on who to emulate…Beckett is a stud…and his attitude is the best since Nolan Ryan imo…he don’t mess and I assure you that if some future Rockin Robin Ventura wants to charge the mound on him…well he’s not in for “hair-pulling” :wink:
And now to your part…better be tough chum, someone will knock the chip off of your shoulder and if you’re bluffing you’ll be exposed.
No pitcher “wants” to give up 3 and if they start just “accepting it”…well it’s time to get another hobby…never be satisfied, always looking for improvement and to learn something, to examine what you do and how you perform is smart…if you do good people will appreciate your performance…that is the nature of the game. MLB has it right…they train players like Steven told you on the other thread…it isn’t just you, your team is just as key as you…so deflect the praise to them, learn from where you’ve fallen short and enjoy the little time in the game you have…life is too short for all this stuff.

i know why you take everything personally.

Because you think you are going to make the majors, thus you are trying to be the very best you can.

Whats funny about this is that it takes not only skill, extremely good size, an amazing fastball, a deceptive curve, maybe a remarkable change up, and on top of all that, it takes luck as well, you got to keep making it to the next level. All of this applies to baseball, you got to be one remarkable player and have many aspects in your game to make the majors.

In my own opinion, if you aren’t getting paid to play then don’t take the game to serious, have fun with it, train hard, but don’t take it that seriously, that you are having no fun, and actually hate to walk up on the mound.

It was once remarked that “It is your response to winning and losing that makes you a winner or a loser”.
Are you feeling sorry for yourself? If so, you need to stop that right now.
Feeling sorry for yourself and letting frustration get the best of you
will ruin baseball for you. You must not become frustrated.
Think positively. When you give up runs, or have a bad performance, don’t become unhappy and frustrated. Try to find good things in your performance. Review your bad performance and find what you need to do differently in your next game. You can learn a lot from failures if you approach them in the right way.

One time, during a conversation I had with Ed Lopat—my wise and wonderful pitching coach—I said, out of curiosity, that I knew he didn’t win all the time, that he did lose some games, and I was wondering how he would react to that. He replied—and he had a way of putting things in perspective—“Oh, I’ve lost some, but how I react to it depends on the loss. I’ve been belted around, 8-0, 9-2, 11-3, but even though I didn’t like it I wasn’t all that upset by it because all those scores told me was that I just didn’t have my good stuff those days. What got me was the close ones—2-1, 3-2—and after one of those games I’d be sitting in the locker room chewing myself out for letting the game get away from me and thinking that I might has well have just gone fishing.” But he never let it get to him. He put those games aside and in his next start he won by a score of 7-0 or something and started another win streak.
Lopat told me that often the difference between a 2-1 win and a 3-2 defeat was one bad pitch. That will happen once in a while. It’s when you start making bad pitches all the time that you need to stop and think about what it is you’re doing that causes those bad pitches, and think about what Shakespeare has Hamlet say in his famous soliloquy:
Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or take up arms against a sea of troubles, And by opposing end them." A pitcher has such an alternative—which will he choose? If he has any sense in his head he will choose the latter course of action.
Just my seventy-five cents’ worth. (Inflation, you know.) 8)