Taking creatine

i was wondering it would be ok to take creatine so i could get a little stronger and gain some muscle so i could throw harder next year im 16 would it be ok to take it

This was discussed not long ago right here:
http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3686

It’s not so much a case of whether or not you can take it. It’s do you need it. How much work have you put in, and have you zoned in on your diet.

I’d be a hypocrite to criticize 16 year olds taking it as I take it myself. I really like it, however I believe kc and lbarber have used it and felt it wasn’t worthwhile.

You can get tons stronger and bigger without a gram of creatine. It’s just dedication, effort, and time.

To throw harder your going to need to work hard in your conditioning and throw regularly.

I promise you can do it all without any creatine.

On a side note creatine came up today in the dugout;
The myths and stuff about creatine continue to crack me up and realize how uniformed people can be yet still believe in something as fact.

Today people were talking about hitting a homerun and someone was like well I could do it if I had steroids… or maybe creatine or something.
I was like man, creatine is naturally in your diet it’s not gonna do anything magical.
And was quickly responded with how bad for you it is.
I responded with the fact that most people consume creatine in their regular diet as it’s in meat, around 1 gram I believe. They didn’t even believe it right off.
Then someone put forth the belief that it shrinks a gentleman’s “equipment”.

I really don’t know if I should laugh at that, be floored, frustrated, or just let the uneducated yet decided people in this world, remain uneducated.

Creatine is the most overrated supplement currently on the market.

My initial reaction is shock, but then I think I get where your coming from.
Do you say this out of the idea that although it works, it’s haled as the god and miracle product? If so I agree, supplement marketing is becoming more pathetic everyday. I saw a classified ad for a supp company hiring a sales/marketing rep. Paying 100k base salary. I mean these companies make killings from well designed marketing plans and subpar products.

Especially since there’s other products that are as effective and people have never heard of them?

If you think it just does not work, I would have to disagree but I have a feeling that’s not the case.

I think the biggest thing about creatine is the percentage of non responders is relatively high, considering that most people do not know not everyone responds to it. And also it’s application is limited to anaerobic training.

I think a lot can be said about it’s potential disease prevention and improved brain function. I could realistically see the FDA backing it down the road and it becoming a regular thing. We’re still a long ways from that though.

One things is that it’s relatively cheap.

My initial reaction is shock, but then I think I get where your coming from.
Do you say this out of the idea that although it works, it’s haled as the god and miracle product? If so I agree, supplement marketing is becoming more pathetic everyday. I saw a classified ad for a supp company hiring a sales/marketing rep. Paying 100k base salary. I mean these companies make killings from well designed marketing plans and subpar products.

Especially since there’s other products that are as effective and people have never heard of them?

If you think it just does not work, I would have to disagree but I have a feeling that’s not the case.

I think the biggest thing about creatine is the percentage of non responders is relatively high, considering that most people do not know not everyone responds to it. And also it’s application is limited to anaerobic training.

I think a lot can be said about it’s potential disease prevention and improved brain function. I could realistically see the FDA backing it down the road and it becoming a regular thing. We’re still a long ways from that though.

One things is that it’s relatively cheap.[/quote]
I say that because people look at creatine as this panacea that will make them huge just by taking it. Honestly, I had to spend about 15 minutes explaining to my mom that creatine and steriods were not the same thing. The public perception is just that overblown.

I know creatine works, especially being around some elite athletes in high school (football players, mainly). But that is part of my point. Even in an elite athlete, the effects are not going to be mind blowing. They give a slight increase to muscle endurance. A normal person would see much greater changes just from cleaning up their diet, drinking more water, and taking a multivitamin. But that doesn’t sound like an easy quick fix, so it gets much less fanfare than creatine.

Understood KC. I agree ENTIRELY.

The whole creatine and steriods thing being the same thing blows my mind. Stuff like that comes up all the time in high schools, and generally I just don’t say much, because there’s way to much deprogramming of opinion to be done, especially when your the only one in the group that has read anything academic on the substance.

To be honest not a teammate knows I take it although the topic has come up several times. It’s just not worth the hassle of the situation.
I mean I’ve heard people cut up guys and say that some players are only good cause they take creatine. LOL, it does nothing if you don’t work hard, and even then it’s not rediculously special.

I honestly think that I can tell a difference between when I am supplementing with it and when I’m not. Although I believe the placebo effect has a 60% rate of positively affecting a person.