Switch Pitching?

Aloha All,

I am a 34 year old RHP. I pitch regularly in an adult league and do very well. I’m currently the season and career ERA leader for Starters. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I have a young son who is nearly 8 and is showing talent as a pitcher. We work a few times each week to practice and he can consistently hit targets and throw strikes. He’s thrown in two games and did very well in his first two little league outings.

He is a lefty though, and some of my advise is just backwards to him. So, I was thinking - how hard would it be to pick up a lefty mitt and train myself to throw as a lefty? I realize I’ll probably never reach a level of competence where I would throw in a game as a lefty - but if I could at least throw and perform the proper mechanics to demonstrate for him that would be great.

I think it would be kind of fun to be able to throw both ways too.

Am I crazy to try? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for any advice,

Brian

[quote=“bteeter”]Aloha All,

I am a 34 year old RHP. I pitch regularly in an adult league and do very well. I’m currently the season and career ERA leader for Starters. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I have a young son who is nearly 8 and is showing talent as a pitcher. We work a few times each week to practice and he can consistently hit targets and throw strikes. He’s thrown in two games and did very well in his first two little league outings.

He is a lefty though, and some of my advise is just backwards to him. So, I was thinking - how hard would it be to pick up a lefty mitt and train myself to throw as a lefty? I realize I’ll probably never reach a level of competence where I would throw in a game as a lefty - but if I could at least throw and perform the proper mechanics to demonstrate for him that would be great.

I think it would be kind of fun to be able to throw both ways too.

Am I crazy to try? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for any advice,

Brian[/quote]
When I hurt my arm a year ago I tried throwing lefty, and I looked like a girl throwing. Now the only time I throw left is when I play catch with my 11 year old brother. Even me being ambidextrous in things such as writing, and the ability to switch hit, I think that is a lot easier than being able to switch pitch, because pitching is a difficult task to do. Not to say that you could not do it though, because it would just take a tremendous amount of discipline.

I remember the kid from Creighton a few years ago who was a “switch pitcher”. Worth checking out this news clip. Pretty cool.

[quote=“CSOleson”]
When I hurt my arm a year ago I tried throwing lefty, and I looked like a girl throwing. Now the only time I throw left is when I play catch with my 11 year old brother. Even me being ambidextrous in things such as writing, and the ability to switch hit, I think that is a lot easier than being able to switch pitch, because pitching is a difficult task to do. Not to say that you could not do it though, because it would just take a tremendous amount of discipline.[/quote]

Yeah, that is kind of what I was thinking. I am the same in that I can do some things from both sides no problem, but I’ve never done much throwing with the left hand.

I guess for the $20 it will cost to get a basic lefty glove its worth trying. If nothing else it will be pretty funny if I fail miserably.

Billy Wagner started out as a right hander as a kid. He broke his arm as a youngster and switched to pitching left handed.

Also, I was talking to Dylan Bundy’s dad and he has him pitching some left handed to iron out assymetries that might develop from pitching right handed exclusivly.

For those who don’t know who Dylan is. Here is a scouting report.

http://www.prospectwire.com/pw/article.php?id=217

Also here is one of his workout techniques.

At 34 I would think it would be very, very hard…actually to do it to teach your son, I have found it easier to teach lefties by mirroring the action side by side (since I am a righty). The mechanics are easy to teach that way and you won’t have to throw like a girl (no offense to Zita) for 1-2 years!

When ever I watch a ball game on tv and a right handed pitcher is pitching I would watch it in a mirrior to make him left handed. Its also pretty funny watching hitters run to 3rd instead of 1st…

No offense taken, buwhite.
I remember when Ed Lopat was working with me on some things he would demonstrate them, of course, lefthanded, and what I would do was mentally mirror the moves and then do them righthanded. But here’s an interesting observation: when he was showing me how to throw the slider he did this righthanded, which got me to thinking—now in the world did he know I was righthanded? Some time later I figured it was probably something about the way I moved that told him; but even more important, it was something, perhaps a sixth sense, that told him that what I wanted—what I needed, really—to know about the slider was how to throw it. So he showed me righthanded—I’d had no idea he could do that.
Anyhoo, that’s a good idea—a pitcher who throws one way watching another demonstrate it with the other hand and then using either an actual mirror or a mental one to get the hang of it. :slight_smile:

I have actually tried this before. You have to train the arm from a young age to be able to have a fluent throwing motion from both sides. It is possible though. You can just do the Jim Abbott glove hold with the other hand when switching during a game. Best is to throw a majority of the good stuff with your better arm and try to develop one good tough pitch to hit with your opposite arm (like a cutter or slider) which are hard pitches for a right and left handed hitter to stay on, do that and you could build a fine switch pitcher.