Swinging a bat for about 30 minutes a day

Do you guys think that my stragety will work? My plan is to swing a bat everday for about 30 minutes. To work on my weaknesses to make them my strengths. To tweak the things i need to tweak and to make my swing better and more efficient. My logic is to make my muscles think that swing a bat is natural and when it comes to games, i just use my muscle memory and hit away.

I heard Pujols hits off a tee around 400 times a day.

oh really? thats interesting. I just don’t have the equipment for that, but you think my plan might work?

A program that woked for my son was to use 3 bats 1 20% higher than game bat, game bat and bat 20% lighter. two to three times a week as follows full dry swings.

10 heavy bat
10 light bat
10 heavy bat
10 light bat
10 game bat

do this for at least 2 months and he should see at least a 20% increase it bat speed.

My son son only stated playing two years ago and we did this all last winter. he went from striking out in little leage to hitting over 400 on travel teams. From what I read in increases fast twich muscles and muscle memory. So if your son uses a 20oz bat he would also need a 16 oz and a 24 oz. If he played T ball you may already have the light and you could get the larger bat for when he moves up any way.

Jim

[/i]

30 min is a long time if your going to do it non-stop …

Yeah it is, sometimes i cut it down to like 15- 20.

[quote=“jhorton”]A program that woked for my son was to use 3 bats 1 20% higher than game bat, game bat and bat 20% lighter. two to three times a week as follows full dry swings.

10 heavy bat
10 light bat
10 heavy bat
10 light bat
10 game bat

do this for at least 2 months and he should see at least a 20% increase it bat speed.

My son son only stated playing two years ago and we did this all last winter. he went from striking out in little leage to hitting over 400 on travel teams. From what I read in increases fast twich muscles and muscle memory. So if your son uses a 20oz bat he would also need a 16 oz and a 24 oz. If he played T ball you may already have the light and you could get the larger bat for when he moves up any way.

Jim

[/i][/quote]

thats interesting, this is actually for myself. I played for about eight years. I might try out your plan. With the lack of equipment, this will be interesting. The bat i use everyday is a bit bigger and a bit heavier than the one i use in games which the team owns. (and its wood)

What part of your swing do you want to improve?
Bat speed, “seeing” the ball, contact?
Please be a bit more specific.

Do you have a basement? Or an open area to hit? You can get foam balls for very cheap and theres this new tee I saw, its very portable folds up nice and one place had it for $25. I have used it and personally am going to get one for this season.

living in a town house, and no back yard. But i do have an open area infront of my house and a park near by that has a field that is atleast as big as a football field.

You just want to make sure you are using good mechanics when you swing, otherwise you will build bad habits.

yeah, thats what I do when I swing, I don’t just swing cause I want to, I do it to perfect it everytime.

[quote=“yanksneeddice-K”]What part of your swing do you want to improve?
Please be a bit more specific.[/quote]

my bat speed is good, im used to hitting fast pitchers. I see the ball fine. And I am a great contact hitter. I just want to make my hit look effortless. I want to become a good hitter. Learn to hit oppo and stuff. I’m a great pull hitter. and sometimes hit oppo.

[quote=“kenja”][quote=“yanksneeddice-K”]What part of your swing do you want to improve?
Please be a bit more specific.[/quote]

my bat speed is good, im used to hitting fast pitchers. I see the ball fine. And I am a great contact hitter. I just want to make my hit look effortless. I want to become a good hitter. Learn to hit oppo and stuff. I’m a great pull hitter. and sometimes hit oppo.[/quote]

Ok.

Make sure you film every swing. Theres always the little bit more you can do to improve the bat speed, which will make it look smooth and effortless. The video will also allow you to see what your actually doing vs. what you want to be doing. Its the same as pitching.

Good luck man.

thanks for the advice and support!

If you have a field neraby, go buy a tee man. It’s a great investment. Work on properly hitting the ball all over the plate, and up and down.

My advice as a former MLB player, 30 minutes is a lot but what is more important than that is making sure that you have good mechanics on your swings otherwise you will be reinforcing bad habits…
Good balance, good approach, and mental thoughts…
Keep up the good work!
BBathe

yes quality swings is the key. bbathe should be able to tell us that mlb hitters take many swings a day, tons of bp.

bbathe, what do you think of swinging both ways for training, even if you arent a switch hitter. i have heard some endorse this for training both sides, is it useful?

I have to share this story with you guys, because it’s pertinent to the subject.
Back in 1951 the Yankees picked up hard-hitting Johnny Mize, in large part to plug a hole at first base. One evening they were scheduled to play the Cleveland Indians in that ballpark commonly referred to as “The Mistake By The Lake”, and before the game someone, probably a newspaperman, went looking for Mize but couldn’t find him at first. At last he was located in the Yankees’ locker room—practicing golf swings with his bat. GOLF swings, for Pete’s sake! When asked about this he replied simply, "Garcia’s pitching tonight."
Mike Garcia, often called “The Bear”, was a hard-throwing righthanded power pitcher who gave the Yanks more trouble than the rest of the pitching staff put together. He had a pattern: he would always start off the batter, whether lefty or righthanded, with a fast ball down and in—and he had a fast ball, all right, mid-to-high-nineties! Well, the game started, and Mize came to bat with one out and two runners on base. So Garcia came in there with—yep, you guessed it, a fast ball down and in.
And Big Jawn was ready for it. He swung at that first pitch—and drove it into the upper deck in right field for a three-run homer, giving the Yanks a lead which they never relinquished.
You can be sure he never saw another fast ball from Garcia.
So, practice swinging the bat, and if the pitcher has some peculiarity you would do well to take advantage of it and practice some specialty swing to deal with it. Q.E.D. 8)