Swimming

Is swimming a good exercise for pitchers? If so, what kind of swimming?

Yes, swimming is good for the shoulder … but I’d do it only in the off-season, because it can be very stressful when combined with throwing/pitching and other types of in-season training.

Crawl, breast stroke, back stroke are all great. To place more emphasis on the arms/shoulders/rotator cuff, place a kick board between your knees or feet, to isolate your upper body … so you don’t kick when you swim.

So, just focus on using your arms and none of your legs?

Start out performing the movements with your legs. But as you progress, I’d take away the feet, to make the exercises more difficult. As with all thyes of cardio training … train explosively.

Swim as fast as you can for 30 seconds. Rest for 90 seconds. Repeat 6 to 10 times or more. Up to you.

Swimming is excellent exercise.

They have things called “pull buoys” that are foam pieces that can be placed between your legs in place of a kick board. Same effect as the kickboards but they are more comfortable and don’t slip out as much.

My younger brother is a pitcher an a swimmer. He swims all year round, about 2-3 miles a day, 4-5 x a week. Needless to say, when he suffered an injury that kept him out of the water but allowed him to play baseball for 8 weeks, his velocity as well as his hitting suffered a little. Swimming is definetly helpful.