Supplements vs. Steroids

Obviously some are illegal and some are not, some have risks, and some do not. Would you guys agree that supplements can enhance performance? They certainly enhance performance in the gym, which can indirectly help peformance, perhaps even directly, especially if you know what you’re doing in the gym. We know steroids are a performance enhancer. So what’s the difference? Why are steroids frowned on, yet supplements are accepted, and not just accepted, some think they are absolutely necessary. So where is the line in the sand drawn? Personally, I’m not big on either. I’ve tried many supplements, and have seen the effects of steroid first hand in pro ball. Do all of you guys who do supplements think it’s ok to do steroids as well? Shouldn’t steroids be considered the King Supplement? Discuss.

I would say that certain supplements DO enhance performance, (but only slightly)and only when they are used correctly and your workout really hard.

Steroids are frowned upon because they are hormonal Performance enhancers that DO work to a much higher degree, which can be seen in the numbers of HR’s hit in the MLB and the increases in velocity that former pitchers (who have admitted usage) had during their playing careers.

Supplements will Never enhance performance to the degree steroids will though.

i could be wrong but i think the difference is that supplements add something to your body that the body already produces. protein, creatine, fish oils all are made by the body and found in foods but people dont get enough of them

Steroids do the same thing, bu they add genetically shifted hormones; almost all of which are syntheitc versions of Testosterone. Which is why they are soooo much more powerful than supplements.

Good points guys.

Are they both performance enhancers? Correct?

[quote=“Hammer”]Good points guys.

Are they both performance enhancers? Correct?[/quote]

Yes, they both are. But supplements do it to a much smaller degree.

I’m currently writing a speech for my oratorical class on the benefits of steroids and why society’s perception is so biased by the media.

personally, I see no difference in taking steroids as opposed to supplements. both enable you to do things that the body wouldn’t normally be able to do. that to me is performance enhancing. steroids enhance to a much higher degree but with that comes a risk of more severe side-effects. with creatine, smaller results, smaller risks. I believe it’s basically someone’s preference to be honest, if you can afford it, want to take possible unneccessary risks then go for it.

I’m sure back in the babe ruth era, the hank aaron era, they would have done anything to be the best, so modern technology has improved, so why shouldn’t the performances improve. The world progresses while the sports world is expected to stay in neutral forever. Anyone who actually follows sports will know the era’s of the records, and will be able to put whatever personal vendetta against them that they want.

My biggest point in my speech is:

Where do you draw the line of what is performance enhancing.

Mark Mcguire had lasik surgery, greg maddox had lasik surgery. They weren’t naturally given better than perfect eyesight, so they unnaturally enhanced there performance, and for me personally, wouldn’t a hitters eye sight be just as important has his strength.

Isn’t foam roller performance enhancing, isn’t taking concentrated protein’s performance enhancing, isn’t using batting gloves performance enhancing, isn’t using cleats performance enhancing.

I personally believe there is an infinite grey area when it comes to this stuff.

[quote=“ltownindians07”]I’m currently writing a speech for my oratorical class on the benefits of steroids and why society’s perception is so biased by the media.

personally, I see no difference in taking steroids as opposed to supplements. both enable you to do things that the body wouldn’t normally be able to do. that to me is performance enhancing. steroids enhance to a much higher degree but with that comes a risk of more severe side-effects. with creatine, smaller results, smaller risks. I believe it’s basically someone’s preference to be honest, if you can afford it, want to take possible unneccessary risks then go for it.

I’m sure back in the babe ruth era, the hank aaron era, they would have done anything to be the best, so modern technology has improved, so why shouldn’t the performances improve. The world progresses while the sports world is expected to stay in neutral forever. Anyone who actually follows sports will know the era’s of the records, and will be able to put whatever personal vendetta against them that they want.

Mark Mcguire had lasik surgery, greg maddox had lasik surgery. They weren’t naturally given better than perfect eyesight, so they unnaturally enhanced there performance, and for me personally, wouldn’t a hitters eye sight be just as important has his strength.

Isn’t foam roller performance enhancing, isn’t taking concentrated protein’s performance enhancing, isn’t using batting gloves performance enhancing, isn’t using cleats performance enhancing.

I personally believe there is an infinite grey area when it comes to this stuff.[/quote]

I could not agree more.

[quote=“ltownindians07”]I’m currently writing a speech for my oratorical class on the benefits of steroids and why society’s perception is so biased by the media.

I personally believe there is an infinite grey area when it comes to this stuff.[/quote]

x2, I’m glad somebody gets it

Supplements = progress enhancers (if you don’t work they don’t do anything for you)

Drugs/Steroids = performance enhancers, your better just for taking them. yeah caffine is in this category too.

I see a separation of hardwork.

For anyone that wants a solid informative and enjoyable documentary watch.
Go rent, Bigger, Stronger, Faster; its an awesome relatively unbaised take on drugs in sports and in the world.

Basically what is already said, creatine and protein can be found in foods. Along with other supplements. Yes not normally the high levels of creatine you can consume with supps and same with protein. But steroids are synthetic testosterone. That seems to be the key difference, that synthetic word.

“If you take steroids or supplements, you will never know your fullest potential.”

[quote=“centerfield2150”]Supplements = progress enhancers (if you don’t work they don’t do anything for you)

Drugs/Steroids = performance enhancers, your better just for taking them. yeah caffine is in this category too.

Go rent, Bigger, Stronger, Faster; its an awesome relatively unbaised take on drugs in sports and in the world.[/quote]

You got the first part right. You have to work your butt off to see any results when using things like creatine.

But You are NOT better/stronger/faster/ etc just by taking steroids. You have to eat clean and work you a$$ off in the gym when taking steroids to see decent results. I’ve done more research than most ppl and have worked out with guys who were juicing, and its really easy to see that steroids are not an automatic upgrade. If you dont follow a diet regime and workout like a serious athlete, you will get nothing but side effects from steroid usage.

The use of these terms is too broad. Vitamins are a supplement. There are supplements out there that have the same effect as caffine and other drugs. There are natural supplements out there that are sold over the counter that will alter your testosterone and estrogen levels. When using these supplements and tested for steroids, you can test positive. The only supplement that I consider a requirement for atheletes is protein and a good multi-vitamin. Creatine is ok, but all it does is cause the muscles to retain more water. This most beneficial for weight lifters.

[quote=“centerfield2150”]Supplements = progress enhancers (if you don’t work they don’t do anything for you)

Go rent, Bigger, Stronger, Faster; its an awesome relatively unbaised take on drugs in sports and in the world.[/quote]

Your way off pal, steroids aren’t the “sit on your ass and get jacked” magic bullet that the media has turned them into. Guys who juice work harder than the rest of us lifters. The only thing Steroids afford you is the ability to build muscle more efficiently, and recover faster, SO YOU CAN WORK OUT MORE OFTEN.

And steroids or performance enhancers is way to broad of a term, also. Big bad Human Growth Hormone is hardly even considered for any but the top weight lifters, its useful for joint health and recovery, but muscle building benefits are nearly nonexistent. Testosterone and its cousins is much more of a “steroid”, but of course, there not used as often in baseball because its easier to come up hot on a drug test.

So i’m going to do my best to be more mature than the both of you…
Its kinda pathetic.

The strongest weeks of your life are on a steroid cycle. You are stronger than you’ve ever been in your life. You lose body fat like crazy sitting on your ass if you like.
Obviously if you work you get amazing results.

Drugs instantly affect you. If you take 500mg of caffine, you will run the best 100m of your life. Plain and simple. Same if your on amphetamines.

A years worth of gains in 6 weeks, compared to a natural guy spending 6 months. To me, someone who busts ass 20 hours a week training, that is nearly doing nothing
I SAID DRUGS. Theres a lot of substances that would make you better the first time you consume them.

I didn’t mention HGH, on its own, it doesn’t do anything compared to other substances.

-Edited to enhance my own maturity somewhat. I got mad, wrote an original post, then went back and cleaned it up when i was returned to normal judgement

Nice, I started this thread to have a nice intelligent debate by people who knew more about supplements and steroids than myself, and it appears we have a nice intro to the “pissing contest thread”. It’s too bad this thread is probably going to get locked because you guys can’t clean up your mouths. The asterisks don’t make the curse words any cleaner. Get it together and be civil.

Yeah, your right, that got a little out of hand on my part, I apologize. And to answer your question, there is not even a comparison. Not even close, steroids give you 10x the benefit of the best and most proven supplements. First of all, many different supplements do many different things. Creatine retains water in the cell, and stores more creatinine your muscles, which is the 1B energy source for high intensity, fast twitch movements. Beta Alanine keeps your carsonine levels as high as possible, which in turn keeps your muscles from reaching an acidic enviroment level during lifts for as long as possible. This means more reps before you start to feel it. Don’t get me wrong, stack these two together and you’ll see some very respectable gains, but…

Stack DBol and Test together for a six week cycle, and assuming you lift hard, eat clean, and its your first go round with steroids, its not unfeasible to put on 15 pounds of muscle over a 6-8 week period, and add probably 15-20% more weight on all of your lifts. As stated before, thats 6 months worth of training for most guys, squeezed into little over a month.

But there is simply no comparison between the two, supplements enhance your lifting ability to a small degree, steroids completely change your lifting ability.

[quote=“centerfield2150”]So i’m going to do my best to be more mature than the both of you…
Its kinda pathetic.

The strongest weeks of your life are on a steroid cycle. You are stronger than you’ve ever been in your life. You lose body fat like crazy sitting on your a** if you like.[/quote]

You could not be more wrong. “it’s kinda pathetic”. And for the big lie you just told, You Will NOT just drop bodyfat! Where the hell are you getting your information? Those B.S. documentaries they make that make steroids look like the most dangerous substance ever and scare people away from them?
In order to lose fat to ANY noticeable degree, you need to clean up your diet and do about 20 minutes of cardio per day, along with systematic lifting if you really wanna cut.

Nope, you’ll exceed your fullest potential