Superstitions

Hey I know pitchers and batters tend to have superstitions, and I just wanted to know what peoples are.

I’ll start:

I always wear my batting glove underneath my mit, even though I hit like twice a year

Well the dugouts in my league are like ________ if you catch my drift. \ by home plate and ________ going out towards third base in the third base dugout. I never touch the line and always walk into the dugout from the \ part.

one of my superstitions is: ok kinda hard to explain but i can’t get on the rubber till the batter is in the box idk i just always do it that way

one other one is before the inning they do around the horn i have to have the 3rd basemen throw it underhanded or i will have a bad inning haha

My son always wipes off the rubber with his foot after a negative thing happens.

Well…may your son always have a filthy dirty pitcher’s rubber then!

My son always puts his grandfather’s initials under the bill of his cap.

In the last video on my log, when he is in his white uni, you’ll see him do it…he was in the midst of a no hitter and a guy reached on a dropped third strike, advanced to second on a ground out…then scored when on an easy fly his center fielder was ruled to have dropped the ball as he transitioned the ball from glove to hand…the sequence picks up right after that as he k’s the last batter of the inning…

the first thing he does at that point…kicks the dirt from the rubber :lol:

1:30. Yeah I do that too sometimes. Defense in a 14U league sucks, especially in the outfield (grrr)!!! My third basemen did make 5 errors in one game, but he’s usually a stud so I dunno what happened that day…

A whole encyclopedia could be written about ballplayers’ superstitions…I never had any to speak of, but I could tell you some about major league players’ particulars. For example: There was one, whose name I don’t recall offhand, who when he would step up to bat would remove his chewing gum from his mouth and stick it on the bill of his cap. All right. But when the count got to two strikes on him, he would snatch the gum from his cap and stick it in his mouth; he was certain that if he didn’t do this the next pitch was sure to be strike three! (I told Ed Lopat about this one and he laughed and said “It was probably strike three anyway.”)
And the great Lefty O’Doul—at the end of a half-inning when his team had been playing defense he would toss his glove with a whirling motion. If the glove landed with the thumb pointing toward right field, it meant he would get a hit his next time at bat.
Babe Ruth never had any superstitions—this was simply his tremendous knowledge of the game and the rules thereof. Whenever he hit a home run he made sure to touch every base. :slight_smile: