SUNy Cortland and SUny Stonybrook

I am applying to both of those schools. SUNY CORTLAND is a D3 school and Stonybrook is a D1 AA so i just want to know what it takes to play in those 2 schools? cause i am planning to tryout if it goes well. thanks and also how much of a different is there between those schools talent wise?

For starters, there is no Division I-AA for baseball. Stony Brook is simply Division I.

As far as level of competition, there is a very big difference between the two schools. Cortland is a decent Division III school, but obviously cannot give out athletic scholarships, so the level of talent is not close to Division I.

Stony Brook opened last season with a three-game series against North Carolina, the national runner-up the past two seasons. That right there tells you the difference in the two schools. While Stony Brook isn’t on UNC’s level, it is a Division I school that will only take extremely talented players. If they’re not actively recruiting you, I’d say your chances of making the team at Stony Brook are quite slim.

how does transferring from a D3 school to a D1 school work? can we transfer after year 1 and can we use the D3 school as like a “tryout” to see how we stack up against other players?

I went to a D3 school last year and transferred to a D1 school this year. Next year though if you transfer, you will have to sit out a year I believe… those rule changes are going to hurt college baseball.

You can transfer from D3 to D1, but more than likely you’re going to have to be a dominant D3 player to be able to contribute to a D1 team.

If you really want to find out where you stand, attend a showcase that a D1 school is holding. If you’re unfamiliar with the showcase process, it’s basically a baseball camp where coaches from colleges come to watch and evaluate the players there. If you take part in a showcase or two, you should get some e-mails and phone calls from coaches who think you can play in their program. That will help you determine the level you should be aiming for.

thanks a lot

yea if stony brook didnt recruit u, then good luck. but cortland is actually a good DIII from what i hear from people who played there, one of the better in the area if not one of the best.

My dad went to SUNY Cortland. The baseball is actually quite good. He was starting SS.

An explanation of the new NCAA Rule Changes can be found here:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/576915.html

how old are you?

[quote=“Spencer”]

I went to a D3 school last year and transferred to a D1 school this year. Next year though if you transfer, you will have to sit out a year I believe… those rule changes are going to hurt college baseball.[/quote]

This rule is not going to hurt college baseball, this rule is going to help college baseball.

This rule forces coaches to really do their homework on an athlete.

Florida coach Kevin O’Sullivan said, teams will no longer be able to recruit everybody they want and instead will have to focus on their needs. That, in turn, will assure players a better shot at playing time

[quote=“MaineBall”][quote=“Spencer”]

I went to a D3 school last year and transferred to a D1 school this year. Next year though if you transfer, you will have to sit out a year I believe… those rule changes are going to hurt college baseball.[/quote]

This rule is not going to hurt college baseball, this rule is going to help college baseball.

This rule forces coaches to really do their homework on an athlete.

Florida coach Kevin O’Sullivan said, teams will no longer be able to recruit everybody they want and instead will have to focus on their needs. That, in turn, will assure players a better shot at playing time[/quote]

Sure, it keeps the big time colleges from abusing athletes but it hurts the small time athlete who needs time to develop and wants to play. Then again, there’s JUCO… This rule basically makes JUCO the only route to D1 for athletes not of D1 ability. This means that D1 schools cannot redshirt players and carry them over for a year to develop them on their own. Would you feel better with a used car or a new one?

Ensuring players a better shot at playing time? The best players will be played anyways… If you can’t hack it then transfer… oh wait, you have to sit out a year… shit.

If you can’t hack it maybe you shouldn’t be playing Division I. You can always transfer down.

That’s the point though. A coach might accept a player that seems on the edge of being good enough and redshirt him and use him the following years but now the only thing to do is juco to get to d1.

They arn’t banishing the redshirt rule, they are banishing the transfer rule…

And the cap size?

And the cap size?[/quote]

These 3 new rules - the transfer rule, the 25% rule and the roster cap rule all are double edged swords.

Most of these will effect mid major DI schools more so than the bigger DI schools.

I actually don’t like the transfer rule but i understand the reasoning behind it. I don’t mind the 25% rule either. The roster cap rule i think is alright because it really makes coaches distinguish between who really should be there and who shouldn’t be.

We’ll only know after it happens whether it helped or not :?

When my brother went into college, he had d2 and d1 offers. He was good and could compete at each level. A guy my father knew, who was actually the UNLV basketball coach at the time, but had played college baseball, gave my brother some advise.

He said you can either go D1, and possibly not play much or at all or maybe even get redshirted your first year, than in your second year you’ll get in a few games but nothing crazy most likely. Than your 3rd year you might become a starter and do okay, and than senior year, you’ll do the same as you did junior year, maybe a little better, and do good but nothing spectacular.

Or you can go D2, and right off the bat most likely start. Get in many games during the season and do very good. And do that throughout college.

So his advise was basically if you love the game, and just want to play everyday, choose the lower level.

This advise is also assuming a certain level of ability, you know. I don’t know how good you are. I’d still say go D3, and if you dominate, transfer to a D1. If you don’t dominate, chances are you are at a comfortable level. That’s not saying you couldn’t necessarily make the D1 unless you dominate D3, that’s just saying you probably couldn’t without sacrificing playing time.

Good luck with your decision, hope I helped.