Sunday night (Please read if you love pitching)

Sorry to hog the thread line with my long winded antics…this couldn’t go unsaid.
DID ANYONE SEE THAT DOGFIGHT ON ESPN SUNDAY?
If you didn’t, you should hope someone in the world did and TiVo’ed it for you, give them your money, become an indentured servant but if you didn’t see Greg Maddux pitch against Jason Schmidt Sunday night find a way to get to watch it.
I would throw out to anyone out there, that if you want to learn “How” it is done you could have seen no better example than what happened Sunday in L.A… 68 pitches in 8 innings…thats all. Stinkin Joe Morgan couldn’t hint of a better possible failure than “old” Greg Maddux, “We’d see maybe 5 innings out of him” said Joe, I wish had I written down how many times that Joe set up Maddux for failure…finally shutting up about it somewhere in the 7th. Talk about eating those words…man! :lol:
1st time ever a 300 game winner went up against a 700 hr hitter…out come? 0 for 3 and oh by the way for all of you “don’t have to play defense guys out there”? 15 time Gold Glover Greg Maddux snatched what most likely would have been the single that would have cost him his outing and most likely the game! Wonder how many times he’s done that in 328 wins and saved his arm too many pitches and his era too many runs.
A master piece for the ages is what I’d call that particular game. “putputput, I don’t break 90, I break bats”…says Maddux in my mind, I think he hit 88 (And missed, up and in…unhittable) once, but every pitch was a different speed, every pitch moved (He threw exactly 1 curveball by my reconning), every pitch hit a different spot. The one pitch that Barry would have taken down town on any other pitcher (In my opinion), died on the warning track because of late movement and change of speeds.
I am announcing that I am renouncing all previous guru’s and starting the unautherized school of Maddux, long may it serve average guys everywhere. 8)
Can’t forget Jason Schmidt, the other guy that participated in this unbelievable exhibition of the art of pitching. DUDE…I think his mess ended up averaging 95 ALL NIGHT (97 I think was his up)…you are named Roger or Nolan and originated in Tx. if you can do that for a game. But Jason was also moving every pitch and changing speeds…they were just really really fast speeds. Sinker workin with a 2 and a 4 seamer and he just mowed threw Dodger like they were Little Leagers.
I say again WOW!! I will never forget this game, I have been watching Greg since he was a rookie and Jason since he became a Giant, never seen a better pitched game…ever. neither got the win neither got the loss…just as something like that shoulda been.
Just had to get that off of my chest thanks to all that have read this :wink:

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Sorry to hog the thread line with my long winded antics…this couldn’t go unsaid.
DID ANYONE SEE THAT DOGFIGHT ON ESPN SUNDAY?
If you didn’t, you should hope someone in the world did and TiVo’ed it for you, give them your money, become an indentured servant but if you didn’t see Greg Maddux pitch against Jason Schmidt Sunday night find a way to get to watch it.
I would throw out to anyone out there, that if you want to learn “How” it is done you could have seen no better example than what happened Sunday in L.A… 68 pitches in 8 innings…thats all. Stinkin Joe Morgan couldn’t hint of a better possible failure than “old” Greg Maddux, “We’d see maybe 5 innings out of him” said Joe, I wish had I written down how many times that Joe set up Maddux for failure…finally shutting up about it somewhere in the 7th. Talk about eating those words…man! :lol:
1st time ever a 300 game winner went up against a 700 hr hitter…out come? 0 for 3 and oh by the way for all of you “don’t have to play defense guys out there”? 15 time Gold Glover Greg Maddux snatched what most likely would have been the single that would have cost him his outing and most likely the game! Wonder how many times he’s done that in 328 wins and saved his arm too many pitches and his era too many runs.
A master piece for the ages is what I’d call that particular game. “putputput, I don’t break 90, I break bats”…says Maddux in my mind, I think he hit 88 (And missed, up and in…unhittable) once, but every pitch was a different speed, every pitch moved (He threw exactly 1 curveball by my reconning), every pitch hit a different spot. The one pitch that Barry would have taken down town on any other pitcher (In my opinion), died on the warning track because of late movement and change of speeds.
I am announcing that I am renouncing all previous guru’s and starting the unautherized school of Maddux, long may it serve average guys everywhere. 8)
Can’t forget Jason Schmidt, the other guy that participated in this unbelievable exhibition of the art of pitching. DUDE…I think his mess ended up averaging 95 ALL NIGHT (97 I think was his up)…you are named Roger or Nolan and originated in Tx. if you can do that for a game. But Jason was also moving every pitch and changing speeds…they were just really really fast speeds. Sinker workin with a 2 and a 4 seamer and he just mowed threw Dodger like they were Little Leagers.
I say again WOW!! I will never forget this game, I have been watching Greg since he was a rookie and Jason since he became a Giant, never seen a better pitched game…ever. neither got the win neither got the loss…just as something like that shoulda been.
Just had to get that off of my chest thanks to all that have read this :wink:[/quote]

I saw it! It was awesome, All I could thinki was I hope some of my thirteen yr olds are watching this. This is called pitching not getting and throwing you need to work hard! on the mound, pitching is not easy if it was everybody would pitch and we wouldn’t need this site.

Didn’t watch the whole game, but what i saw I liked!

I watched when Bonds was up , ball hit up the middle and was caught. No wonder he has about 13 gold gloves! Also, do you find it funny when you are playing on a lousy team how it changes you as a pitcher. Maddux has been playing lights out since he arrived in L.A. and he is the reason why the DODGERS are on fire right now. For the teams who passed on him too bad!

I am happy for him because it was sad to see him playing on the awful cubs. Even though he originally wanted to be there , he didn’t know that the CUBS pitching staff is inury prone…:slight_smile:

Some trades made at the deadling can help a team, this is one of them. The abreu deal in NYC was a good one as well.

My son and I were at the game. We picked this game because it was autograph day for 14yo and under and was his last chance at that. (They didn’t believe he was only 14.) The autograph session was a bust but the game made it more than worth it. Not only was Maddux impressive but so was Jason Schmidt.

Just to show you how “brilliant” I am (not), after seeing Maddux throwing his fastball at 82 and no faster than 83 in the first inning I told my son it was going to be a long day for Maddux. In the second inning and thereafter he kicked it up to all of 84. The interesting thing was that although he changed speeds a lot his fastball always seemed to be at 84.

He was a higher level than pitching. He performed surgery on the Giants without breaking a sweat! He probably gets more mentally exhausted than physically.

stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id...id
msn.foxsports.com/.../St-Louis-Cardinals,-Cincinnati-Reds-brawl-in-first- inning-081010

Did anybody see this fight?
(between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Cincinnati Reds- summer of 2010)[/quote]