Summer ball

My son, who is a senior, has a D1 scholarship, but feels like he should not play summer ball. He has had arm problems on and off over the years and he knows that he cannot pitch year round anymore. He is a pitcher only. The question is, do you think colleges want kids to pitch in the summer or do they want him to take a couple of months like the pros do?

My experience was sort of the same. I wasn’t getting a scholarship but I knew that I would be playing college ball, and with rotator issues in the spring, I wondered if my arm would hold up. My suggestion is to get us some video of him pitching. Your arm should not hurt all the time unless something is going wrong. Remember there is a difference between sort and hurting as well.

my college coach one of the things he always asks is if we are playing summer ball. To him and many other coaches, summer ball is a necessity if you want to be able to compete for a position.

Thanks for the reply. His arm does not hurt all the time, but he has found in the last couple of years that if he pitches year round with no down time, he usually has to sit out for a couple of months resting his arm. And he would rather rest it in the summer instead of during fall ball at the college. Maybe he should just call his college coach and ask him if he wants him to pitch this summer or just be rested to play fall ball.

Well when does it start to hurt? When it begins to hurt, where does it hurt? My point is that yes, pitchers should have a break from throwing, but usually from summer to fall ball there was a month for me, and another 2 months in November/December to rest my arm. Feel free to call the college coach and ask, I am just saying from a coaches perspective, they want to see that their player is working as hard as possible to benefit the team the most, and that usually incorporates playing year round (minus off season lifting with only occasional light throwing).

This question appears to call for a “Rule of Thumb”. In general, unless the school requires the pitcher to throw for some reason, let him stand totally down and not touch a baseball until he has to for fall ball.

In general, HS players haven’t got a clue what a REAL practice is gonna be like until they get to that college team. In general, HS pitchers who are the kind who expect to be horses in college, have been throwing year ‘found for at least 4 years, and this will be the last time they have a chance for a shutdown. They should take it!

Unless they have a college coach who’s an a$$, they won’t be expected to show up on the 1st day ready to throw a compete game at peak performance. Trust me, there’s one heck of a difference between a 7 inning and 9 inning game, and coaches understand that newbies have to work their way into pitching shape.

I’m gonna guess that many injuries come because pitchers come into the fall basically tired.