Suggestions?

I’m 6’3 175lbs.
I’m looking to put on a good amount of weight before my junior year. Right now I’m very tall and lanky. The extra weight should really help me in all aspects of the game. I have a very good diet that consists of a lot of good foods.
I also take two Met-Rx metamyosyn shakes a day. One after lifting, and one before bed. I really like this shake, it has a combination of whey, soy and casein. However, it does not mix well at all in a shaker bottle.
Now that school has started, I will have to lift during the day, so a blender won’t be available to make my regular met-rx shake.

Any suggestions as a good replacement that mixes well in a shaker bottle for some post workout protein? I’ve read a lot about the Optimum Nutrition 100% whey…
Thanks

I’m not an expert on nutrition, but I do know this-
you really need to make sure that you eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Did you know that as vegetables are over-cooked, they lose their nutritional value?
That’s one of the reasons that fresh vegetables are so good for you.

you’re probably eating about half as many calories right now as you need. you should be taking in about 5,000 calories a day.

unless your shakes are 700-1,000 calories each they arent much of a meal substitute. Post briefly what your diet is on any given day and I’ll give you tips on where you can add meals and calories.

Supplements are all crap. Just a complete waste of money.

Have you ever taken any?
Or why are you saying that?

I wouldn’t say that supplements are necessarily bad. They are only bad when people use them as a crutch and substitute them for other things such as proper nutrition so they can get by. It is hard work to maintain a healthy, athletic lifestyle, and nothing can fill in for hard work.

I agree with that wholeheartedly!
:!:

jpm,

Believe it or not, chocolate milk will do the trick just fine. 8 oz. of chocolate milk has 8 grams of protein and is a much better option than a supplement. You should be looking to get 15-25 grams of protein in a post-workout meal to help start the recovery process. So, 16 oz. of chocolate milk should do the trick just fine. There’s also a good ratio of carbs and a small amount of fat, which will be just fine for you as you work to put on weight. Right now, with all the lifting you are doing, you need to eat, eat, eat. Before bed, you should try cottage cheese. It’s another great source of protein (1/2 cup = about 14 g of protein) and digests more slowly than some other foods which should help you in putting some weight on your frame.

Remember, supplements are called just that for a reason. They are meant to add to an already existing diet. If you are eating well and eating a lot, I will bet that you are getting the required protein you need. Remember, real food should always be your preference over any supplement, and those should only be taken when you absolutely know you are lacking a particular nutrient in your diet.

Good luck with your training and nutrition plan.

[quote=“Full Windup”]jpm,
Believe it or not, chocolate milk will do the trick just fine. 8 oz. of chocolate milk has 8 grams of protein and is a much better option than a supplement. You should be looking to get 15-25 grams of protein in a post-workout meal to help start the recovery process. So, 16 oz. of chocolate milk should do the trick just fine. There’s also a good ratio of carbs and a small amount of fat, which will be just fine for you as you work to put on weight. Right now, with all the lifting you are doing, you need to eat, eat, eat. Before bed, you should try cottage cheese. It’s another great source of protein (1/2 cup = about 14 g of protein) and digests more slowly than some other foods which should help you in putting some weight on your frame.
Remember, supplements are called just that for a reason. They are meant to add to an already existing diet. If you are eating well and eating a lot, I will bet that you are getting the required protein you need. [/quote]

Over the past few days, somebody I know was having pain in their stomach (burning sensation).
The doctor said it was from eating too much protein.
What do you guys think of that?

I’m sorry but that doctor is a moron.

Agreed, too much protein leads to kidney issues and other problems, not a stomach hurting.

[quote=“LankyLefty”]you’re probably eating about half as many calories right now as you need. you should be taking in about 5,000 calories a day.

unless your shakes are 700-1,000 calories each they arent much of a meal substitute. Post briefly what your diet is on any given day and I’ll give you tips on where you can add meals and calories.[/quote]

Agree.

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Side_Effects_of_Too_Much_Protein_in_the_Diet

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/protein_myth.html
http://www.sciencebase.com/science-blog/protein-cancer-risk.html
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11234

Read these.
Look up the effects of too much protein
and you’ll find plenty of warnings against eating too much protein.

Too much protein doesn’t lead to stomach pain though, it does lead to poor kidney function, calcium loss, etc.

[quote=“CSOleson”]Too much protein doesn’t lead to stomach pain though, it does lead to poor kidney function, calcium loss, etc.[/quote]

Which can cause pain in the stomach.