Suggestion

Hi, I am going to be playing house league baseball this summer, (never have before) I am sixteen, and have thrown alot in my life. I aspire to be a starting pitcher. Right now, i throw a 2seam, 4seam, and a very good knucklecurve (moves about 1.5 feet down and to the left.) I throw right. I have the endurance in my arm to pitch long enough, all I am wondering is what pitch i should learn for a good forth pitch, I am considering some sort of a changeup or maybe a different breaking ball. Or maybe no pitch at all would be useful? I am not sure.

i would suggest some kind of breaking ball, either a curve or a slider.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe a slider, does it involve a tomahawking or pronation or what?

it involves supination. i try holding the ball alittle off center and put more pressure on the right side of the ball (im a righty), start with your hand already cocked to the side alittle and at the end of the pitch turn your hand alittle bit when releasing the ball.

Alright, I think I may go for the slider, I’ll test it out ASAP to see if it will work well for me or not, thanks a lot TD, if anyone else has any Ideas, they would still be appreciated (you never know!)

If you have a breaking pitch that moves 1.5 ft, why would you need another one? Besides, I’m in the slider-as-career-killer camp when talking about teenagers. If it doesn’t hurt your arm, it’ll hurt your fastball development.

Develop a change up.

Hose

If you have a breaking pitch that moves 1.5 ft, why would you need another one? Besides, I’m in the slider-as-career-killer camp when talking about teenagers. If it doesn’t hurt your arm, it’ll hurt your fastball development.

Develop a change up.

Hose[/quote]

I wanted to develop one, that i would throw for more strikes, not necessarily outs.

Also, I don’t know if this matters, but i use the grip with the middle finger on the side, and pointer finger tucked in between the ball and palm, so that the nail is touching the seam.

[quote=“Lizard_King”][quote=“hoseman18”]

Develop a change up.

Hose[/quote]

I wanted to develop one, that i would throw for more strikes, not necessarily outs.

Also, I don’t know if this matters, but i use the grip with the middle finger on the side, and pointer finger tucked in between the ball and palm, so that the nail is touching the seam.[/quote]

Sounds like a circle-change. Does this grip work for you?

And do you like the Doors?

Hose

hose, i wouldnt consider a knuckleball as a breaking pitch. a changeup will be very helpful but you do need a breaking ball that is going to look like a fastball to a hitter outof the hand and then break, which is difference from what a knuckleball does.

I guess i found out i throw a slider… I always thought it was a curve… But ya grip is pretty funny looking…

Greg

A knuckle curve isn’t a knuckle ball or even a variation of it. It’s a curveball with the index finger raised to sit on the stitches.

I also question whether a 16 year old needs a breaking pitch. A good change-up, married to a 4-seamer and 2-seamer with good movement should get most high-school hitters out. However, if you’re going to throw it, learn to throw it properly. And stay away from the slide piece.

Hose

Nah man, not the slider. Many times a pitcher who throws both ends up throwing neither a curve or slider, and it ends up as a slurve (not very effective). Just go with a changeup. I suugest the Vulcan changeup, but you need very large hands ,like mine, but if your hands are massive enough, its much more effective than a plane circle change or palmball. It moves like a split, and looks like a fastball.

Take this as an opinion only, but for me, a cutter was the first, easiest and most effective fast breaking pitch I learned.

I discovered it accidentally by trying to learn a slider. I didn’t tomahawk it or anything, I just threw it as hard and with the exact arm action as a fastball.
Here’s the grip, or the one closest to the one I use. From our gallery:

What it does for me:

• Only 3-5 mph’s slower than my fastball
  • Looks like a fastball all the way until…
  • Breaks sharply about 4-5 inches from 9 to 3 o’clock, sometimes also with a little sink looking from the batters eyes only few feet from reaching the catcher’s mitt

How I thow it:

• Use the grip shown above. As you see, you don’t need to tweak or tomahawk your wrist because the grip automatically transfers the pressure from the center of the ball
  • When you got the grip ready, throw a fastball. Nothing more than that. Use the normal 12-6 wrist action as if you were throwing a fastball.

I noticed so far I have been the only one to get it work properly despite trying to teach it to many of my friends. But if you get it to work, I will assure you will be satisfied and the batters you face striked out.

The pressure causes the ball to get automatically an american-football style of spin, and because you throw it as hard as your fastball, the spin will start affecting late and it will break little, but at the very end and very sharply. I use it myself when pitching inside to RH-batters.

But well, try it, and if it works then use it your way. I hope this helps you out a little.

Alright, I do have big hands, so if anyone wants to give me a link or explain how to hold it, it would be much appreciated.

You’re talking about…?

If anyone wanted to give me a link or explain how to throw and grip a Vulcan Change.