Such thing as Squaring up a baseball too perfect?

How many players (old/new) have squared up a baseball so good that it has no rotation off the bat and knuckles straight to a fielder?

Just had this exact conversation with my son that made me got angry and went home!

In my view, baseball is FUN because it has all sort of combinations and outcomes. The fun comes from when trying something different all the time. But to answer your question directly, NO!!!

Today at batting practice, I pitched him a C7, he made contact, so he could not squared up. No issue here. My next pitch was B5, smack down the middle, he swung and made a contact like hitting a B8. I asked him why he didn’t SQUARE UP. He got “irritated” and replied why did he need to SQUARE UP if he could hit the ball. Then I asked him why his coach always insisted on his batting mechanics to SQAURE UP during lessons. He replied that was just for the lesson.

Moral of the story, my son is an IDIOT! If SQUARING UP can lead to a great line drive, it’s perfect, but in reality, no one sees a “down the middle” pitch every single time. One needs to have fingers, wrists, elbows, and shoulders to be “flexible” in combination with your whole body in order to hit the ball “squarely”.

Good luck and have fun.

“Idea” promotes “Attitude”, “Attitude” encourages “Rebellion”, “Rebellion” evolves into “Revolution”!!! — Alex, 6/28/17

This quality at bat requires a great deal of hand-eye-coordination.

Picking the ball up on the pitch, with enough time to get the body and hands to move, is an art all within itself.

A lot of clubs that I was with had a BP session without once swinging on the ball. The BP pitchers would send one pitch after another down, and the batting coach would holler in… “What was it?” His interest was listening to … " inside high", “outside down and away,” and so forth. The coach’s eye was his witness in real time, as he parked himself in a lawn chair right behind the pitcher. And I watched a real butt chewing when a guy guessed at one.

I would assume any amateur that doesn’t dedicate himself/herself to hours of cage practice would find it rather difficult to make contact … squaring up on the ball.

On the other hand, the job of every pitcher that I ever coached or spared a suggestion or two with, had as his only mission to toss of pitch that had the batter thinking … " what the @#$! is this?"