Submarine pitcher needs A LOT of criticism

I’m new to baseball and I started working on submarine pitches a couple of days ago. I know my technique is really bad; that’s why I’m posting it on here for you guys to correct. Hopefully I will learn a lot. Thanks. The video kinda sucks though, tell me if you need a better one.

(Yeah, I made a pretty weird face while pitching, hahaha.)

As a submarine/sidearm pitcher here are some of the major things I noticed.

Your throwing like your bowling, there is no drop in your upper body and when you release your elbow is well below your shoulder. Throw like your trying to throw over hand except bend down low at the waist.

I also don’t see you driving off with your legs at all and using your hips. As a submarine pitcher, you need to use your lower body and hips every effectively or else your not going to throw with much control or velocity.

[quote=“SVCMountaineers13”]As a submarine/sidearm pitcher here are some of the major things I noticed.

Your throwing like your bowling, there is no drop in your upper body and when you release your elbow is well below your shoulder. Throw like your trying to throw over hand except bend down low at the waist.

I also don’t see you driving off with your legs at all and using your hips. As a submarine pitcher, you need to use your lower body and hips every effectively or else your not going to throw with much control or velocity.[/quote]

Thank you very much! How do I use my hips?

it starts with driving off with your back legs. When I get drive with my back legs and i land in a good position I just fire my hips and and throw.

[quote=“SVCMountaineers13”]it starts with driving off with your back legs. When I get drive with my back legs and i land in a good position I just fire my hips and and throw.

[/quote]

Woah that’s really smooth. Is that you? And can you kinda explain what goes on in the upper body, arm, and release?

Thats Chris Hayes, played a lot of Minor League ball for the Royals, but it’s who I model my motion after.

I’ll try my best to explain what goes on with the upper body. After reading a lot of articles and talking to one former major leaguer I’ve learned some useful things. I learned from talking with Mike Myers (former submariner for Yankees among other teams) that you dip down as you start driving forward towards the plate. If you do it before you lose a lot of useful energy, if you do it after, you end up throwing similar to you. The arm motion should be the same to throwing overhand (except your dipped down). Also keep in mind when throwing you want to get as much leverage as possible to get the most velocity you can out. A lot of learning to be a submarine pitcher is doing your own video analysis and research other pitchers who drop down, as well as tinkering with your own motion.

Can I do the same thing with my left arm as i usually do? Or do I have to do what Chris Hayes does and point the glove to home plate? Is there any differece?

you should extend you glove then stride into it.

Alright, I think I know what proper submarine pitching looks like now. Bit it’s really hard to do it myself, because I have to think real hard about it, trying to remember to do everything right. So really, i can only go through it reallly slowly. Do you know any good drills and stuff to get used to the feel of it?

Well my main suggestion would be to just throw all the time submarine, not necessarily pitching. For me it kind of came naturally because I was a natural sidearmer when I was younger then I forced myself to throw overhand until this year where I let myself drop back down, then eventually my arm kept getting lower and lower. Now I’m just submarine but i’ll force myself to pitch 1 or 2 pitches sidearm to keep hitters off balance.

Oh, okay. Hm, so you mean that even if I’m playing catch, I should throw submarines? Would i keep the exact same motion going?

Since you’re new to this all repetition is vital.

Get in as many reps as you can from you’re motion.

Make sure to focus on doing it right and properly.

Get yourself on tape as much as you can and review. Even if its only for a few throws.

If you’re going to throw from down under throw from that all the time to get yourself used to it and your arm used to it. Yes that includes and weighted baseball or long toss drill you might want to incorporate later.

I cannot stress how important it is that you do every throwing motion submarine if you want to pitch that way. Put of course if your playing centerfield in a game don’t try to gun the guy out at home submarine. But when I warm up I throw submarine and long toss submarine. Sure people laugh at me but I’ll be the one laughing when they swing wildly at 3 straight pitches and have to walk back to the bench.

Alright. When I long toss/etc. submarine, should I lift my knee up and everything, too, as if I were pitching? And just to make sure about the arm action… You wind up normally into a 90 degree arm position (the load) as you bend your torso, and then drop your throwing shoulder as you begin to throw your arm forward underhand?

Do whatever feels comfortable long tossing, personally I don’t lift my knee when I long toss, I just do a cross over step.

As for your question about arm action, your arm doesn’t have to be at 90 degrees, personally my forearm doesn’t go up until my arm starts forward (Chad Bradford also did this).

Got a little off subject there but your should “dip” down at the waist as your hands break and you start driving forward just remember “Dip as you attack” attack meaning attack the plate.

Do some research, you’ll learn a lot.

I know this is kind of late… but I’m interested in this as well. Should I start my own thread, or…?