Submarine Grips/advice

I am 16 years old and entering junior year in high school, I play 2nd base and just started pitching. I have been throwing submarine bullpens for a while now and just got the oppurtunity to throw it in a game. I did quite well and gave up no hits or walks in two innings with two strikeouts. I throw a fastball in the high 70’s with good control (still working on that). I also throw a changeup (circle change grip). I do have a few questions though that I hope some of you can answer. I do not throw sidearm, i throw submarine, not as low as chad bradford but it’s down there.

1. When throwing submarine i consistantly throw from a 1/4 armslot, but sometimes my pitch dives back down and in to right handed hitters (I am a righty), but sometimes it doesnt really have any movement. I throw this with a two seam grip and change nothing, does anyone know why this is?
  2. I need another pitch besides fastball curveball, what are some diffrent grips that I can try?

for submarine pitchers its easy to have a makeshift sinker. Its not hard, when you throw your fastball put more emphasis on making the ball roll off your fingers to give it hella downward spin. best way I can explain it is right when ur about to release flick your fingers up when the ball is just about to release so it rolls out with harder downward spin.

Also you could try a slider, If someone could help me out with this wouldnt it move similar to a shuuto or screwball?(for righties)

I don’t know how much help I would be here, inasmuch as I was a true sidearmer and I threw everything that way, but for what it’s worth I can tell you about the usual way to throw a slider—at least as I learned it from my pitching coach, who was an active member of the Yankees’ legendary Big Three pitching rotation. He told me, “Throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it”, and he showed me the off-center grip he used—and it was indeed off-center, with the index and middle fingers very close together and the middle finger just touching one seam. He then demonstrated the wrist action, which was for me an easier version of the karate-chop move I used for the curve ball. I recall how I got the hang of it in about ten minutes and then spent some nine months working on the pitch. In August 1952 I felt comfortable enough with the slider to use it in a game, and I did, relieving in the seventh inning with the bases loaded and one out and striking out the two batters I faced in that inning.
This might be tough going for a submariner, but at a higher arm angle, closer to sidearm, it could be made to work—you’ll just have to experiment a bit with it. :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher: