Striking out good hitters

how do you keep really good hitter from hitting the ball? I even throw it outside and they still send it over the fence i throw pretty fast 81-83 and have a good curve ball whats the problem

[quote=“bueno”]how do you keep really good hitter from hitting the ball? I even throw it outside and they still send it over the fence i throw pretty fast 81-83 and have a good curve ball whats the problem[/quote]you have got to mix it up, you can usually tell what to throw, power hitters, sometime try throwing 3 straight change ups…that gets them really offbalance and then they cant hit homeruns correct?

I would tell you to throw them a changeup for a 1st pitch strike. Make sure you get that strike because the guy will now be thinking too much and he will know he will have to adjust and not only expect a fastball all the time.
You might want to back it up with another changeup down and away to try to make him swing and miss or hit a weak grounder.

Also don’t be afraid to throw up in the zone. Try to make the batter change his eye level. Throw him some changeups low and then come back with a high fastball, chest height.

FB inside, outside, up, down, curve inside, curve outside…

In other words, dont be predictable.

All good advice. I don’t know who this quote’s from but it kind of tells the story very succinctly.

“Hitting is about timing. Pitching is about upsetting the hitter’s timing.”

DM, I think Harald Reynolds said that last night during game 1 of the CWS, that or it was on Baseball Tonight, or an ESPN Broadcasted MLB game.

You’re thinking is wrong. With a good hitter try to get him fishing on fastballs outside the zone. if you get behind , then throw it in the zone , but keep the ball down try to make them drive it into the ground.

There’s more than 1 way to skin a cat. I think it’s a tad arrogant and/or rude to be telling people they are wrong. Tell me this, if it’d a good hitter, and by good I mean can swing the bat, but also is aware of the game, and specific patterns the pitcher may develope, wouldn’t he be at least somewhat disciplined at the plate? Also, fastball fastball fastball is the way to pitch if you don’t understand the game. A good hitter will recognize a pitcher always throwing 1st pitch fastballs, and will jump on that. Start him off with some junk, then work the fastball. Plus, getting behind in the count semi-intentionally like you suggest is a bad idea. As a hitter, when you’re ahead in the count you know 2 things almost always will happen. You’ll either get walked, or you’ll get a fastball out over the plate to drive.
Just keep em off balance and don’t always give them that 1st pitch fastball.

[quote=“dm59”]All good advice. I don’t know who this quote’s from but it kind of tells the story very succinctly.

“Hitting is about timing. Pitching is about upsetting the hitter’s timing.”[/quote]

That would be attributed to Warren Spahn.

There’s more than 1 way to skin a cat. I think it’s a tad arrogant and/or rude to be telling people they are wrong. Tell me this, if it’d a good hitter, and by good I mean can swing the bat, but also is aware of the game, and specific patterns the pitcher may develope, wouldn’t he be at least somewhat disciplined at the plate? Also, fastball fastball fastball is the way to pitch if you don’t understand the game. A good hitter will recognize a pitcher always throwing 1st pitch fastballs, and will jump on that. Start him off with some junk, then work the fastball. Plus, getting behind in the count semi-intentionally like you suggest is a bad idea. As a hitter, when you’re ahead in the count you know 2 things almost always will happen. You’ll either get walked, or you’ll get a fastball out over the plate to drive.
Just keep em off balance and don’t always give them that 1st pitch fastball.[/quote]

Relax Kido , and i apologize that wording was wrong.Anyways im not saying he HAS to go with that idea . But its a possible scenerio that could work out. All i was trying to get across to this kid was that even a good hitter can get struck out by balls. I , and i say i because this is how i think as a pitcher, would rather walk a good hitter before i give him a good pitch to hit. If he wants to swing at a ball go out there and get it then. But with my throwing stlye it’d be a ground out or a pop fly so its up to the batter.

First time through the order? Or only thereafter?

I have always found that pitching backwards is a great way to disrupt timing … always be agressive inside , but do not allow yourself to be too predictable in “hitters” counts .

If the guys good, you know he can hit your fastball… I usually go slow, slow, slow, slow to a great hitter… only come with the fastball as a surprise right after a steady diet of off-speed.

another thing, if you throw outside, make it low. It’s extremely difficult to hit a low outside fastball. You’ll need to go outside eventually vs good hitters, make sure you spot it right. And if he’s on the plate, throw inside and jam, if he hits those, they wont go really far and if it drops, that’s credit to the hitter.

I wouldn’t suggest throwing pitches that arn’t strikes because then he’ll be sitting on your fastball, unless you know he’ll swing at them. You should try to move the ball around, up, down, inside, outside. Try to keep it either high or low, never thigh high, either at the knees or at the chest. Move the curve around, inside outside, don’t always have it break over the same part of the plate.