Striding

After coming back from Tommy John Surgery I have noticed my mechanics are quite flawed. Some of the harder throwers on my team have been telling my that I sweep my leg when moving towards the plate. (ala Tim Lincecum, Garza) They say I need to come down and then towards the plate. It seems like I am not getting as much momentum. Any ideas? Is it bad for me to sweep? I mean I can’t really toss aside the tips from the kids that throw 90+

What was your stride form prior to your injury?

That is a good question. I believe it was a down and out kinda thing but I really do not know. Is that relevant? I mean I had to build my mechanics new because it has been so long since I have played competitive baseball

I’m a fan a sweeping your leg. As shown below.

I believe this helps become more rotational and helps you stay closed as well.

i’m also a fan of sweeping the leg, as long as you don’t plant your foot too early. if you do, then you are probably throwing across your body. which would put a lot of strain on your arm.

Like other people before, I am a fan of sweeping the leg, too. It helps to get more pelvic thrust, as long as — like the_K_king said — you don’t plant your foot too close to your throwing arm side.

Examples of MLB pitchers sweeping there legs are the likes of Lincecum, Rivera, and Kazmir (not you Matt).

(good view)

i personally go up, then down, and out for my stride

i have been taught when u just go out or sweep your leg all the velocity is lost

:no: :thumbsdown: :bsmeter: :dismay:

:read: this thread

since we are talking about striding, how long should a stride be

some say its whats comfortable

some says it 100% of height

how far should we stride, without overdoing it so it messes up the mechanics

[quote=“loco123”]since we are talking about striding, how long should a stride be

some say its whats comfortable

some says it 100% of height

how far should we stride, without overdoing it so it messes up the mechanics[/quote]

The average pitcher’s stride is 86-87% of a pitcher’s height.

Tim Lincecum’s is 127% of his body height - 5’10-11" and stride of 7’1".

7’1"…that is bs

Is it? Look at the clip and how far his back foot comes off. I am trying to figure out where the power comes from when I sweep my leg. If I come down then towards the plate all my momentum is going to where it needs to. When sweeping it just rotates my hips which seems detrimental to my arm angle.

No, it’s good.

Greg Maddux swept at 19 when he was throwing 93.

This is one other thing I have noticed about those pitchers. You see Maddux’ GAS foot is pointing powards second base and then sweeps out but be keeping his foot/knee he is keeping his hips closed. Velocity secret? Im gonna start trying it.

Sweeping the front leg isn’t absolutely necessary for velocity. Some pitchers do it (e.g. Ryan) and some don’t. Prior threw in the 90’s with a down and out motion. But give it a try. Find what works best for you.

Keep in mind that altering stride can really screw up your timing…so be concious of this and use the video camera if for example you start ending up closed or notice a big change in accuracy.