Stride taking away from hip/shoulder separation

i believe that my long stride is taking away separation, whats the average percent of a stride length, if im 6’7

I like shorter strides in the 80 percent range because that helps to keep the release point high and helps to keep the hips rotating. That would be 5’5" to 6’ in your case.

I wouldn’t advocate anything over 100%.

I like shorter strides in the 80 percent range because that helps to keep the release point high and helps to keep the hips rotating. That would be 5’5" to 6’ in your case.

I wouldn’t advocate anything over 100%.[/quote]I think mine is somewhere around 75 inches, so its way over that, thats about 95 percent, i definatley need to cut it down some

Tanner,

If you end up in a poisiton where your weight is a bit back, that can hinder hip rotation. From what I recall of past videos you’ve posted, I’d guess your problem is a lack of momentum. Pick up your tempo, increase your momenutm, and get out over that front leg. That would be my suggestion.

I’ve done just the opposite with my son. His stride length was around 55 inches at 5-10. We’ve now lengthened his stride to around 70 inches, and it seems to have helped. He actually is throwing harder by getting his hips moving to the plate (his entire delivery is much more explosive) and he is able to the keep the ball low much more than before. I should also add that we’ve changed his delivery to low 3/4 too.

Simple math tells me that 83 mph from a 55 inch stride is easier to hit than 83 from a 70 inch stride. It is all about getting closer to the plate. He is 16 yo and we hope to get his stride out to around 75 inches over the next year. This would be in excess of 100% of his height.