stride length

i have heard that to increase velocity you should stride longer, does anyone know any stretches or exercises to increase flexiblity and stride

Your buddies with Dick Mills huh?

no but it makes sense the closer you release the ball to the plate the faster itll be, any suggestions on getting a long stride?

Lets say you lengthen your stride a foot. A fastball drops 7 mph by the time it reaches the plate. (I think) If it loses 7 mph in 60 feet, then it loses approximately .11 mph per foot. So you gain like .10 MPH from that little bit more distance.

dick mills thinks stride length=speed. He tells people to rotate hips and shoulders at the same time. He’s completely wrong.

Nolan Ryan is probably ashamed hes on that Dick Mills page. :frowning:

But don’t forget the batter also gets less time to see and react to the ball.

Start forward earlier and faster to build up momentum, lead with the front hip and maintain a good knee lift, have good mechanics and timing, and then the stride will take care of itself. The focus should be on momentum - not on the stride.

Now, this is not to say I am recommending the tempo and momentum that Mills recommends. I think he takes it a bit too far. But I do feel most pitchers move too slow.

There are many MLB pitchers who throw 93+ with all sorts of stride lengths. A long stride is not an absolute. What I do see that is common is quick tempo and a quick front hip and leg that opens and propels the body away from the rubber into footplant combined with a dragging rear foot.

I see a long stride as an effect of being explosive towards the plate combined with the amount of bend in the rear knee more than a cause of velocity.

The reason you may not be able to stride far is that you probably cannot maintain enough balance and momentum to cover that much ground. It probably isn’t a flexibility problem.

True Roger, but will you get any better on the gun?

If you lengthen your stride because you have improved those aspects of your mechanics that lead to a longer stride, then there is a possibility you might improve your velocity on the gun because you are are creating more energy. But whether or not that energy gets efficiently transferred up the kinetic chain and into the baseball depends on other aspects of your mechanics and, in particular, your timing. So you put yourself in a position to increase your velocity but there’s no guarantee.

personally, trying to stretch out your stride length can hurt velocity…lets say you try to lengthen your stride, and you do by lets say a foot, ok, if u cant get your upper half on your body over your front knee, your going to have the same release point and lose momentum and be throwing in a really awkward position, so you would lose velocity, jus what i think

To add to what Tanner said, if you stride too far you may even lose control. Like he said, if you stride to long and your body can’t get over your front knee that will probably affect your release point, which will probably cause you to release the ball to soon and more than likely cause you to leave pitches up.

I’m not saying that a longer stride will definitely not going to add velocity because I don’t know. I definitely don’t think being one foot closer to the batter is really going to give you that much of an edge on actual velocity or deceptive velocity, but thats my opinion.

lol

I have a 100% stride length - I’m 6’0"

just practice. put a piece of tape on the ground of where you want to be striding, and try to reach that goal.

I feel that a healthy stride length is around 90% of body height or above. If you are somewhere above 90%, don’t worry too much about trying to change things.

Guys, are you actually reading what Roger said?
It’s about momentum. Stride length will take care of itself if you work on all the other things Roger so accurately identified.

Please slow down, read and think your way through this stuff.

Try to discipline yourself against quick fixes. If something is worthwhile, its worth working awhile to achieve.
For those of you in the mid teens, you’re also going to grow and gain strength over the next few years. That in itself will create huge dividends, especially if you focus on the correct timing, sequencing and the rest of it.
Read what Roger said again, please!!

Cheers;

O

Momentum + balance + bend in rear leg = stride length. It’s pretty simple.