Stride length: 12 inches = 3 MPH

Recently heard an athletic trainer say every 12” closer to plate = 3 MPH

Anyone have any research that backs this up?

…in terms of batter reaction time. This is what is referred to as “perceived velocity”.

House makes this claim and knowing him I’m sure it is backed up by the math.

This concept was preached when I was coming up, too, and I agree with it. But it’s the first time I heard a specific velocity increase related to closer release point/stride length. It takes work to get down that mound as far and balanced as possible!

Yeah it’s just time and distance variation between balls released at the same velocity from two different distances (12 inches apart). One will get there ahead of the other, obviously. The one closer to the target looks faster because you have less time to swing at it. A ball travelling from 54 feet away from a target must travel 3 mph faster to arrive at the same time as the ball traveling from 53 feet away from a target.

In general, if you can cut down the pitching distance before you let go of the ball, you have an advantage…just like that guy who hops forward with his pivot foot before foot strike. He’s getting about 4.5 mph advantage (due to his 18" hop) over someone else throwing the exact same velocity.

Stride length doesn’t mean a thing if you can’t stabilize your landing. It doesn’t mean anything if you’re reaching for an extra 3 inches with your front leg and in turn leaking your lower body, and that will just move up the chain to early trunk rotation as well as the amount of external rotation you can put on the ball because the sequencing is off.

I’d rather have a kid stride 90% of his height and maintain tension in his lower body (moving back to front) let the sequence up the chain happen on time, stabilize his landing and have a better chance at late launch than trying to stride an extra 3 inches that his body can’t handle efficiently and lose valuable aspects of the delivery; harmful ones at that.

Velocity = distance over time. The perceived velocity is the ratio of the distances times the actual velocity. If one pitcher releases at 54 ft and at 90mph and another pitcher releases at 53 ft and at the same velocity. The second pitcher’ perceived velocity would be equal to 54/53* 90 or 91.7mph. House’s number is dead on if they both throw 160mph. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 mph sounds better than 2 mph. I can see why he went with the higher number.

To be fair 18" @ 95 mph is 2.8. I was just trying to be funny.

I think the key is to have the stride length driven naturally from the backside, without compromised balance or ability to fully rotate.