Stride foot back or to the side?

Does anyone have any evidence that taking the stride foot straight back 4-6 inches vs at a 45 degree angle gives a pitcher better velocity (3-5 miles per hour) and/or better accuracy?

This is with a pitcher starting in the windup position

nolan ryan stepped straight back… worked for him i guess lol

more accurate but not faster

Hey, OK Bucnker;
A lot of coaching clinic’s say that steping straight back , then forward is best cause your keeping your momentum/motion straighter toward your target.
Let’s say your a right handed pitcher-- I’ve heard it argued that if you take a step back 45% or sideways toward 1st base— that when you come back forward for the leg lift and stride, your body’s momentum is going more toward 3rd, has to stop, and then go to the plate , aiding in bad mechanics in the end. So this could probably cause loss of speed for you. If your comfortable doing it, and your control is good what the hell, stay with it. To gain speed? try adding a long toss or weighted ball program to your training. Good Luck, Bill

Hey, OK Buckner;
A lot of coaching clinic’s say that stepping straight back , then forward is best cause your keeping your momentum/motion straighter toward your target.
Let’s say your a right handed pitcher-- I’ve heard it argued that if you take a step back 45% or back toward 1st base— that when you come back forward for the leg lift and stride, your body’s momentum is going more toward 3rd, and has to stop, and then go to the plate , aiding in bad mechanics in the end. So this could probably cause loss of speed for you. If your comfortable doing it, and your control is good what the hell, stay with it. To gain speed? try adding a long toss or weighted ball program to your training. Good Luck, Bill :smiley:

Bill!!!
Great to see you posting!!

Thanks JD;
It’s been a busy summer, and I didn’t have any time for the computer. I hope my suggestions help some kids with their game. Thanks for the welcome.
Bill