Stretching

Do you guys think that lack of stretching the lower body can lead to reduced velocity and arm problems?

I always stretch quite a bit to make sure my legs are loose so my stride is at it’s longest. If you stride is at it’s best, then it would take a lot of the pressure off your arm, thus increasing your velocity and helping prevent injury. Also, I’d rather not get cramps and make sure I’m 100% when I step on the hill… It would be a really good idea to stretch as much as possible.

so do you think even before long tossing, get a nice long stretch would be better?

It’s important to remember that tight muscles cause a loss in transferred power, which in turn is a loss in velocity. Having tight hips is bad for arm health and detrimental to one’s throwing velocity. Having loose and fluidly moving hips will make anyone a healthier and likely harder throwing pitcher. Rotating against tight muscles causes a loss in transferred power, which in turn is a loss in velocity.

But why are the hips/legs tight? And should someone stretch if they have no tightness?