Stretch

Does anybody here just pitch from the stretch? I just seemed to be more confortable pitching from it at all times. My accuracy is better, last time I checked my velocity was better, and it just keeps things more simple. Some coaches try to get me to pitch tothe windup, but i see it as whatever is working for yeah do it.

Lots of relievers pitch from the stretch exclusively. If you’re comfortable with it and successful pitching from it, I say why not.

Having said that though, I taught my son to pitch from the wind because I believe it gives you better leverage and velocity. But since every pitcher is different, results may vary.

Good luck.

I teach all my young pitchers to pitch from a stretch , imo because :

1. the stretch position involves fewer movements and promotes much better balance. Without consistent balance you cannot have consistent pitches

2. I have seen zero research suggesting a youth pitcher gains additional velocity by throwing from a full windup

3. The pitcher who threw from the stretch in Little League will be much more comfortable pitching with runners on base when he advances to leagues that allow leading off bases and stealing

[quote=“terprhp”]I teach all my young pitchers to pitch from a stretch , imo because :

1. the stretch position involves fewer movements and promotes much better balance. Without consistent balance you cannot have consistent pitches

2. I have seen zero research suggesting a youth pitcher gains additional velocity by throwing from a full windup

3. The pitcher who threw from the stretch in Little League will be much more comfortable pitching with runners on base when he advances to leagues that allow leading off bases and stealing[/quote]

All very good reasons to teach pitching from the stretch. As a matter of fact, I taught all my pitchers to throw from the stretch in little league, too. Some of them liked it better, some didn’t. I let the boys determine what was more comfortable. And you may be right in saying that it improves control and consistency. I didn’t see it, but then I’m no expert, just a little league dad-coach who’s kid moved on without him lol