Strengthening My Arm

Do any of you guys have proper drills or ideas for me to strengthen my arm? I would like to be throwing 90mph by by senior year. My coach doesn’t necessarily know anything he just tells me throw long toss for as long as you can everyday. Help?

What’s your weight lifting program like?

Aside from that LT you mentioned what else are you doing throwing wise?

I asked you these questions 11 days ago when you first asked for help in regards to throwing harder…

Throw every day.
That’s what a lot of fine pitching coaches say, and it’s sound advice. Throw every day, as opposed to pitching—maybe long toss, maybe just playing catch for 20 to 30 minutes, but throw every day—it’s the best way I know of to build up and maintain arm strength. And do a couple of full bullpens a week, with a catcher behind the plate and maybe a professional pitcher watching and making notes, so it can be determined how you’re doing and what could be improved upon. I recall how I used to do this—playing catch every day, not pitching, just throwing, and throwing hard, and when I did a full bullpen I often had my incredible pitching coach either catch for me (and he wasn’t half bad as a catcher) or watch as I threw to my regular catcher. It’s that constant repetition that will do it. 8)

there are plenty of velocity programs available to you. It won’t be easy. You’re attempting to add 6 ticks of consistent velocity onto your fastball. It’s not an unrealistic goal, but something you will have to work very hard at to make happen.

Well I throw long toss about 210-230 feet and that is consistent, the problem is noone can really throw like I can. Other wise I have no weight lifting program and I throw and work my legs more than anything else.

So you top out at 88 but only longtoss 230 feet? Stretch that out, rule of thumb is 300 ft is a release velocity of 90 mph and 240 ft is 80 mph (this subject is up to debate anyways) Your not going to get better unless you put yourself to the limits (stay within you limits regarding safety though). Get video up because I bet you have a couple ticks hiding.

Get a bucket of balls and throw towards the backstop. When you’re done throwing the 1st bucket of balls, pick them up and throw them in the outfield. Pick ‘em up and throw them back. I do this with my son, since I cannot throw the 220’+. Usually, I just hang around the backstop and catch, while he backs up and throws.

In between, get a tee and hit the balls into the backstop, working on your swing. Be patient. Swing every 13 seconds. Act like every hit off the tee is like a game situation. Step out of the box, go through your pre-swing mechanicals just like you would in a game. Drop down to a 32" and see if you get more bat speed. You shuld see some improvements in the game.

I’m with Zita. Want to stregnthen your arm, throw every day. Mix up what you do, but throw every day.

The number 1 issue most people have in velocity is how the arm delivers the ball. It’s a huge issue but without seeing you throw a baseball I can’t form an opinion.

With that being said, here is what I would recommend. Make sure your are in good shape, properly warmed up to throw. I can’t emphasize these enough. Be in good shape and really get the blood flowing taking your time to get your arm properly loosened.

1. I like the Jaeger program for long toss. Here is a link:
  1. Practice throwing hard. Try to break your partners hand, rip his glove off, throw it through the brick wall, whatever you want to say. Max effort and max explosion. Let everything hang out and grunt and be violent when you throw.

2. Overload/Underload is tremendous for building velocity. It is best done with a speed trac x so you can experiment and try to beat the previous throws velocity. People piss and moan about weighted baseballs because they claim: They change your mechanics, your arm will fall off, and a baseball only weighs 5 ounces so it doesn’t apply to the mound (LOL)

I think a M/W/F overload underload schedule is excellent with long toss before hand in the weeks leading up to your season. The other 4 days you should be doing weights, etc. If you are a position guy as well, hit 6-7 days a week.

False claims debunked:

They change your mechanics: This is a GOOD thing. The body figures out the most efficient way to throw a baseball especially with a radar gauging the speed of each throw.

Your arm will fall off: Only if you go into a program of weighted baseball throws without proper conditioning. I think 10-12 weeks of long toss 3-4 x a week, tubing, etc is a good amount to be ready to jump into over load/underload training.

Baseball weighs 5 ounces: A ridiculous claim made by a certain guru. Quarter backs throw heavy balls and other Olympic athletes use heavier implements. It’s based on neural recruitment among other things.

End of false claims

When looking at the 12 month calender year time off should be at a minimum. If you have an injury it’s entirely different but I think time off leads to deterioration especially since baseball players and athletes in general have such a tiny window in life (until around age 18) to really get on the right track.

Other thoughts:

Don’t worry about “looking like a pitcher”. My father scouted for years and if the organization saw a guy who looked like a pitcher, they wrote his name down for “later”. When they saw a guy who lit up the radar gun, they paid him. Trying to look like a pitcher is a recipe for disaster.

Of course, hit the weights and do everything else to help you succeed. This includes excelling in the classroom.

Did I mention the way the arm delivers the ball is the most important thing in velocity?

Thanks Jimmy! I now know my offseason plan!