strength training

i am 15 should i start weight lifting to gain arm strength? if yes how much should i be lifting and what exercise should i be doing?

Yes you can start lifting but make sure you are careful. At your age im not sure if squats are neccessarily a good thing but make you lift legs. Leg press, leg curl, leg extension, calf raises etc. As far as upper body goes the only lift i would tell you to be careful about is shoulder raises (military press) the jury is still out on that excersice, just listen to your arm, if you dont like it dont do it. With bench and other excercises the thing to watch out for is heavy lifting. You dont want to throw 200 pounds on a a bar if you can only bench it twice. 8-12 reps is a good range where you wont get stiff. MAKE SURE YOU STRETCH After. Also abs abs abs. They are the worst thing to work out but very important to pitchers

What exactly is wrong with the military press (with db or barbell) in your opinion?

IMO benchpressing is the most overrated exercise ever, I never did play sports lying on my back, so why would i train like that? I like Olympic lifting far better since these are not isolation exercises

when are the best times to lift/workout ? after u pitch and when else

Military press can put some strain on the labrum and rotator cuff if done not correctly but of course so is just about any excercise but i think the military press is most likely to cause problems i know many universities dont allow their pitchers to even do that excercise with lighter weights. Im not saying you dont have too i just think out of all the upper body/shoulder excercises you can do that may be the one to watch out for.

Fair enough, all olympic lifts require some technique and that’s what scares people off

The olympic lifts are definately the best though, but you’ll want a spotter, or atleast a power rack to work with.
They are semi-complicated to learn, but I have successfully taught myself proper squat and deadlift form.
Looking at working on power clean as well.
I’m not a big fan of barbell bench because I tighten up far to much to stay pitching consistently, just a moderate weight dumbell bench.

I was reading an article saying that blood sugar levels drop off after 20-30 minutes, so you want to get the most work you can in the smallest amount of time, thus compound lifts working several key muscles.
You’ll want to add some auxilery excercises but you’ll want to do compound lifts as the main part of your routine.

just out of curiosity where have you found all this information. it seems really useful and sure appreciate it. if you have any more information please let us me know you seem to be pretty knowledagble.

There’s an awesome database about lifting, supplements, and everything fitness found at bodybuilding.com

Their excercise database can be found here: http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

They’ve got videos of how lifts is done and well written descriptions, including breathing for the more complicated lifts.

Articles range from diet, to sprint training, to lifting and the like.

Just note that you will find information that is more towards bulking up and looking good, rather than building athletic strength and quickness. Just know what your looking at because their are things such as how to utilize isolation excerises to create the most pumped looking muscles for a contests or something, and that really has no benefit for sports.

But there is so much good stuff ranging from improving your 40, to verticle jump, to whatever you need to improve.

As far as nutrition goes I have to say bodybuilders seem to have the most well kept diets of any athletes. I’ve have been “inspired” to better what I’m eating to improve my performance. I also like because you can get the basic run of the mill explanation for the reasoning behind something in nutrition but they break it down as if it was a high level biology class as well.

[quote=“centerfield2150”]There’s an awesome database about lifting, supplements, and everything fitness found at bodybuilding.com

Their excercise database can be found here: http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

They’ve got videos of how lifts is done and well written descriptions, including breathing for the more complicated lifts.

Articles range from diet, to sprint training, to lifting and the like.

Just note that you will find information that is more towards bulking up and looking good, rather than building athletic strength and quickness. Just know what your looking at because their are things such as how to utilize isolation excerises to create the most pumped looking muscles for a contests or something, and that really has no benefit for sports.

But there is so much good stuff ranging from improving your 40, to verticle jump, to whatever you need to improve.

As far as nutrition goes I have to say bodybuilders seem to have the most well kept diets of any athletes. I’ve have been “inspired” to better what I’m eating to improve my performance. I also like because you can get the basic run of the mill explanation for the reasoning behind something in nutrition but they break it down as if it was a high level biology class as well.[/quote]

Yeah, shame thought the articles seem t have died out the past year…

I wouldnt recommend isolation exercises to athletes either, unless you want to train a muscle thats really hard to reach with other methods