Strength training - 14 years old

I was wondering what type of strength training i should do this off season for arms and shoulders…
Im 14 years old, so im not sure if i should im old enough for bench press, medicine ball, free weights etc

I have those aerobic exercises bands and i think i old enough for that but i dont have any exercises for that…

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

[quote=“Bostonsportlova”]I was wondering what type of strength training i should do this off season for arms and shoulders…
Im 14 years old, so im not sure if i should im old enough for bench press, medicine ball, free weights etc

I have those aerobic exercises bands and i think i old enough for that but i dont have any exercises for that…

Any help would be appreciated, thank you[/quote]i don’t think your ready for any type of weights. 14 years old is very young to start lifting, cardio and medicine ball training, by all means, go ahead and do it, but, weights i’d say no. i didn’t start lifting weights til i was 16 years old, you don’t want to start too soon or else you could get too big in your shoulders, and not be able to pitch much, that is if your a pitcher, if not, you still shouldn’t. at least wait another year before you start weights, but, sprints are good, shuffle drills, medicine ball training like you said is good, pitch/hit a lot to get mechanics done correctly, if your a pitcher, long-toss is a great thing to do to build arm strength AND accuracy, try to hit the person playing with in the chest. my suggestion to you is not to start weights quite yet because you could develop too soon and if your a pitcher, you could get too big and not be able to pitch up to your full potential, which i’ve seen happen to a couple pitchers.

Focus on your core. Then, focus on your core.

As for long toss, it will help with with conditioning your arm and, in particular, your rotator cuff. I do not agree that long toss will help with accuracy. Long toss is a completely different activity than pitching, which is downhill, on a mound, at a specific distance. The brain knows the difference. You get good at what you practice. Long toss can’t possibly help with accuracy from a mound. Sorry Tanner. Just a friendly disagreement. :smiley:

At our school we use long toss mainly for our outfielders. Our pitchers practice it also but not for the same results. No offense but especially not for accuracy. Although I di believe that long toss helps with conditioning and arm strenght. It more effective to get your throws on the line during long toss. The best way to get better at pitching is repetition. Like dm59 said the best way to get better at pitching is to pitch.

what are some excersizes to work on the core other than situps? I hate situps. I hate that stomach burn, and I pretty much refuse to do situps or leg lifts.

Are there “core” excersizes you can do that don’t deal directly with the stomach/abs? Ya know, more on the obliques and chest?

I remember someone wrote here once that you can lie on your chest with your arms and legs out, and then lift your arms and legs off the ground. Does that excersize have a name? Anyone familiar with it?

sounds like supermans which work your lower back.

i dont think lifting is a bad thing personally, as long as you learn the proper fundmentals. If not, doing toe raises on your own, hand grips and stuff like that would be good too.

While long toss doesn’t help your accuracy, it won’t hurt your accuracy if you make sure to work your way back in throwing nearly on a line and throwing to a low target. The long toss will help strengthen your arm more certainly and with less risk than throwing off a mound or even flat ground bullpens. The long toss helps with arm strength and the bullpens help with pitching. Ideally you want to get the benefits of both without overdoing it.

My advice is to go to
http://www.jaegersports.com/arm_strength.html

for more information on long tossing and band exercises.

There are other sources you can find on the internet.

My recommendation would be to be very careful about lifting weights at your age. I’ve seen kids your age, especially pitchers, hurt while lifting weights under the supervision of certified trainers. 14 is an extremely vulnerable age due to the growth spurt that typically occurs at that age.

thank you for the help and i am a pitcher

so far i have been doing core workouts and medicine workouts…
i just cant find any space to do long toss inside

How heavy of medicine ball should i be using ?
and
When you mean lifting weights do you mean just bench presses or free weights too ?

[quote=“Bostonsportlova”]thank you for the help and i am a pitcher

so far i have been doing core workouts and medicine workouts…
i just cant find any space to do long toss inside

How heavy of medicine ball should i be using ?
and
When you mean lifting weights do you mean just bench presses or free weights too ?[/quote]
when u lift u need to work both sides to prevent muscle pulls. If you have any way of doing lats or w/e that’d be good to comnbat bench. I do normal bench 1x/wk then dbell and inclie the other day. It’s all up to you. read up at different places and find out whats best for you.