Strength Program Megathread

Alright, in order to streamline the advice that is given on this subforum, I’ll trying to gather all my programs that I have posted here and stick them in one (hopefully stickied) thread. Anyone else is free to post, but try to place several workouts in each post so we dont end up with an insane amount of replies.

This might take a while to get organized…

[size=18]KC’s List of Stuff![/size]

[quote]Strength Circuit Training #1
When you first attempt this, I would suggest that you rest when needed. Go as fast or as slow as it takes for you to complete each exercise. Do each movement as quickly as possible. You will get lots of lactic acid built up, and your muscles will feel like they are on fire. Thats when you know you are “in the zone.”
Equipment needed: medicine ball (5-10% of your bodyweight), a swiss ball, 5-10 lb dumbbells. *You might want a bucket… just in case

Okay, here it is:

Bodyweight Squats - 24 reps
Bodyweight Lunges- 24 reps (12 per leg)
Split jumps aka jumping lunges- 24 reps (12 per leg)
Jump Squats- 12 reps
Squat Thrust and Jump aka Burpees- 20 reps

Hands on Swiss ball pushups- 12 reps
Dumbbell Exercises, one after the other
Shoulder Press- 10 reps
Y Press- 10 reps
Rotational Shoulder Press- 10 reps
Curls- 10 reps
Lateral Raises- 10 reps
Reaching lunges (lunge + reach in front of lead foot with DB’s in each hand)- 5 reps per side
Side Lunges (again, bring DB’s to lead foot and back to starting position)- 5 reps per side
Rotational Lunges (Open Hip and step back, bring DB’s to back foot)- 5 reps per side
Reaching Lunges+Shoulder Press- 6 reps total
Side Lunges + Shoulder Press- 6 reps total
Rotational Lunges + Shoulder Press- 6 reps total

Knee Tucks on Swiss Ball- 20 reps
“Skiers” on the Swiss ball- 20 reps
Russian Twists with Medicine Ball- 20 reps

Crossover Pushups on Medicine Ball- 10 reps (5 per side)
One arm pushoffs (One hand on the med ball, other on the ground. Perform the pushup and explode through the movement, lifting the grounded hand about 6 inches off the ground)- 10 reps
Closegrip Pushups (both hands on the medicine ball)- 15 reps
Depth Jump Pushups (both hands on the ground, explode up and land with both on the med ball)- 5 reps

And that is it! If you can make it all the way through that- you are definitely a beast. I have been messing with different variations to the circuit, and always end up coming dangerously close to puking. You will definitely be sore the next day.
[/quote]

[quote]Strength Workout #2
Warm Ups
Jump Rope - 5 minutes

Working Sets
Barbaccios

Cool Down
Jump Rope or Shadow Boxing - 5 minutes
Full Body Streching

Pretty basic fullbody, but still different from a bodybuilding workout. It does straddle the line between being completely based on olympic style lifts, but most do focus on explosiveness in everything that you do.

One thing to be careful with is the one armed snatch exercise. Start with a low weight and work up. If you lose control of the weight, this can be dangerous and potentially painful. Same goes with the Barbaccios, start low and work up.

The entire workout should take about 45 minutes from start to finish. Hopefully you are nice and sore at the end
[/quote]

[quote]Strength Workout #3
Warm Ups
Jumping Jacks - 25 reps
Arm Circles - 25 clockwise, 25 counter
Squat Thrusts - 20

Working Sets
Pull Ups - 3 sets (each set til failure)
Weighted Lateral Rotations (can be done with the convert-a-ball

, using a cable station, or even with strength tubing/ therabands) - 3x15
Full Cleans

• 3x8
    One Arm Pushoffs (cant find video, so I’ll explain. You put a med ball under one hand, other hand on the ground. Go down like a normal pushup, but you finish the move by “pushing off” with the hand on the med ball and the ground hand should be about 6 inches off the ground) - 3x10 (10reps per side equals one set)Romanian Deadlifts
    Romanian Deadlift - YouTube
  • 3x12
    Jump Squats (bodyweight) - 3x15
    Push Press
    - YouTube
  • 4x6

Cool Down
Stretching

This would probably work really well on a short rest day, like 30-45 seconds, so you can flow from each exercise to the next. Again, some exercises might not agree with your body (like the Barbaccios in the other program) so try it out light and work from there. I really like the Olympic variations that I use here, especially the Full Cleans and the Push Press. Both will absolutely blitz the core while also targetting the major muscle groups. Really effective lifts for people with time constraints.
[/quote]

[quote]Extremely Simple Bodyweight Circuit #1
You can still train while going to school and working. Even if you only have 15 minutes a day to work out, you can get some meaningful stuff done.

You could do a simple circuit that needs absolutely no equipment and minimal space.
25 pushups
25 bodyweight squats
15 burpees
30 seconds plank
Repeat 4-5 times
You can use lots of different exercises, like plyometric pushups or jumping squats, to add a little explosive element to the circuit.
[/quote]

[quote]Extremely Simple Bodyweight Circuit #2
Here is a basic strength circuit designed for a beginner:
Pushups - 20 reps
Bodyweight Squats - 25 reps
Pike Press - 10 reps
Body Rows - 10 reps
Lunges - 10 reps per leg
There is no rest between exercises and only a short rest period after completing the entire circuit.
**Aim to complete at least 3 trips through the circuit, building up as you get stronger. You can substitute in different movements based on the equipment you have (ie. shoulder press with db’s instead of pike presses) and you can graduate to more difficult movements (body rows to pullups).

A week on this training plan would look something like this:
Day One- Strength Circuit
Day Two - Core + Conditioning
Day Three - Strength Circuit
Day Four - Core + Conditioning
Day Five - Strength Circuit
Day Six - Rest Day or Conditioning + Core (Base on body’s response)
Day Seven - Rest Day
[/quote]

[quote]3 day split with basic exercises
Monday- Squat, one arm DB snatch, dips, deadlift, chinups, BB bench

Weds- Incline DB Bench, Jump Squats, Overhead Press (any variety), High Pulls, Pushups (any variation), Bodyweight Rows (aka reverse bench)

Friday- Squats, Pullups, Hang Clean, Bent over rows (BB or DB), Stiff Legged Deads, Calf Raises
[/quote]

[quote]Full body Workout Variations
Workout A
Barball Squat
Bent Over Row
Deadlifts
DB Benchpress
High Pulls
Speed Squats
Pullups

Workout B
DB Squat
Pushups (any variation)
Power Clean
Stiff Legged Deads
Push Press
Wide Stance Squats
Pullups
Supermans

I’d also vary the set x rep scheme from week to week. 3x10, 4x8, 4x6, 5x5, 2x12, etc.
[/quote]

[quote]Generic Push/Pull Balanced Workout
3x8 Squats
3x8 Body Row
3x8 Deadlifts
3x8 DB Benchpress
3x6 Pullups
3x12 DB Lunges
3x8 High Pulls
3x8 Push Press
[/quote]

[quote]Bodyweight Circuit #3 along with Core Workout
20 Pushups
25 Hindu Squats
15 High Pulls with resistence band
20 Lunges
12 Pike Press or Dips

and go through the circuit 3-4 times. Follow it up with a core workout. An easy sample core workout could be…

3x25 bicycles
3x25 Russian twists with weight in your hands
3X30 second plank holds
3x20 supermans
3x25 Leg Lifts

Do the whole workout (first circuit followed by core workout) 2-3 times a week with a day inbetween to recover[/quote]

Joe Defranco was one of the first to redefine strength, athletic, big, and prepared.

WS4SB II is still one of the best templates I’ve ever seen to help build the best athletes possible.

http://defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm

Jason Ferruggia is one of those hardcore guys as well. He simply gets results.

He wrote a solid 3 day split, I haven’t tried it myself but use all the exercises and have a lot of respect for his work.

http://relentless-athletics.com/strength-training-for-baseball.html

I will be posting some of the specific routines I have done personally as well.

POSSIBLY MY FAVORITE TRAINING ARTICLE OF ALL TIME.

http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/default.asp

Defracno’s WS4SB III.

This is a good overall workout, not really a work out, but excersize. We call it the gauntlet.
Take a 45 lb barbell.
1.) Hold your hands together in the middle of the bar. Hold the bar at your waist. Raise it up to your chin 10 times.
2.) Spread your hands to shoulder width. Hold the bar at your waist. Jerk the bar up, kind of like a power clean without starting it on the ground, 10 times.
3.) Hold your hands shoulder width. Hold the bar at your waist. Raise the bar over your head, and squat. Return the bar to your waist and repeat. Do this 10 times.
4.) Hold the bar at your waist, hands at shoulder width. Raise the bar fully over your head, let if go down behind your head. Raise it up fully over the head again and let it go down in front of your head (Dont have to let it drop to waist). Do this 10 times.
Defintely a good excersize. Gets the heart pumping. Add appropriate weights as you build up. Go up 2.5 lbs at a time though, because every little bit of weight is a lot in this excersize.

My lifting plan:
Deadlift, Bench, and Cleans sets change every week or two, as prescribed by coaches. Usually 5x5, 3x3, 10-8-6, 5-4-3-2-1.

Monday:
Deadlift
DB Bench Press (3x15)
Triceps (Laying on bench, hold dumbell with two hands together on one of the weighted portions) (1x80)
Hammer Curl (2x15)
Lunges (40 yards?)
Forearms (Handle with cord, weight at end of cord, roll up cord)

Tuesday:
Bench Press
Triceps
Hammer Curl
Lunges
Forearms
Calf Raises
Gauntlet

Wednesday:
Power Cleans
Triceps
Hammer Curl
Lunges
Forearms
Wall squats with other pitchers (Squat against a wall with 8 other players side by side. Player at the end has a 45lb plate, and they pass it down the line. Person at the end, recieves it and hands it back, then runs to other end before plate gets there. Usually 15 yards or so)

Thursay:
Bench Press
Single leg Romanian Deadlifts
Triceps
Lunges
Forearms
Calf Raises

I know its kinda basic, but it gets the job done for what we have in that weight room.

I’ll throw in my (kc86-approved! :thumbsup: ) workout:

Push day:

Squats 4x8 (alternate between front and back)
DB Bench 4x10 (alternate between 2- and 1-arm)
DB Lunges 4x8
Clap Pushups 4x10
DB Overhead Press 4x10
Dips 4x8

Pull day:

Deadlift 4x8
Pullups 4x6
One-arm DB Clean 4x8
Glute-ham raises 4x8
Upright rows 4x10
Inverted Rows 4x8

Every 4 weeks I take 1 week off. I’m working out this week, and next week is my week off (Christmas!), then at the first of the year, I’m going to hit it hard again, but going to change up the sets/reps.

Right now I work out MWF, alternating push/pull. Tuesday/Thursday I do cardio (about to implement some HIIT/fartlek-style running) and core work.

My lifting plan:
Deadlift, Bench, and Cleans sets change every week or two, as prescribed by coaches. Usually 5x5, 3x3, 10-8-6, 5-4-3-2-1.

nice this is exactyly what i do too , it seems to work well in letting you handle heavy weight without too much strain

[[POST EDITED BY ADMIN]] The self-promotional link that was posted adds no value to the discussion.

Can someone please tell me what a Barbaccios is. I’ve searched high and low but can find nothing.

Barbaccios are basically a hanging high pull followed by an explosive press (with a barbell obviously). When I originally wrote the program that included this exercise, I thought it would be beneficial to pitching-specific explosiveness. Now, however, I think it would be too hard on the shoulder and raise the injury risk. You can replace the movement with high pulls or powercleans.

Ok I’m not saying that working out is bad or anything, but does anyone else see how pitchers back in the old days use to throw on 3 days rest, close to 4000 innings in their career, and anything short of a complete game was a bad game for them?

And having to retire extremely young because of “tired arm” was also extremely common. The game was different then, and pitchers adapted to the best of their ability. You’ll have amazing natural athletes in any era, but strength training has helped average people to narrow the gap.

What are dead lifts?

For my workout based on this megathread (thanks, kc):

http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8501&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This is for Kc86…

Ok i really like ur workout program you stated but i have some questions. First ive heard the main parts to workouts in pitching are your back, legs, and core. I have some concerns from the workouts! You state we should do shoulder press and y-press, im just wondering cause in pitching ive never heard to do though’s as they can cause harm to your shoulder?? I just wanted to know your opinion on all this? Thank you.

Good question. I personally have never had problems from either of those exercises, but you might want to avoid them if you are worried about impingement related issues. Eric Cressey has an extremely good article dealing with pressing and how to do it safely for overhead athletes here: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/overhead_athlete.htm

Hi I am a 16 year old left-handed pitcher and recently purchased Steven’s Tuff Cuff training book. I just received it yesterday and the season has about 3 more weeks left so I will wait till then to start Steven’s program. I currently am a 6’2 160 pounder with little strength due to the fact that I have not lifted weights or eaten nutritiously. My fastball tops out at 79 and I can consistently throw it 77-78 throught the 7th inning. This off season I will be doing the following:

-Following Steven Ellis’ Tuff Cuff manual rigorously like a Bible
-Attenting a Jaeger Sports Yoga camp near my house (not flexible at all I got about 3 inches on the sit and reach) and I will also be following Jaeger’s yoga training program
-Eliminating the unhealthy foods, which I’ve been doing now for the last 2 months, completely from my diet eating nutritious meals for athletes

I know this seems like a dumb question to ask because everyone’s body responds differently, but is there a chance of me hitting 85 by February 2010? What do you think.

Thanks

[quote=“LHP2010”]Hi I am a 16 year old left-handed pitcher and recently purchased Steven’s Tuff Cuff training book. I just received it yesterday and the season has about 3 more weeks left so I will wait till then to start Steven’s program. I currently am a 6’2 160 pounder with little strength due to the fact that I have not lifted weights or eaten nutritiously. My fastball tops out at 79 and I can consistently throw it 77-78 throught the 7th inning. This off season I will be doing the following:

-Following Steven Ellis’ Tuff Cuff manual rigorously like a Bible
-Attenting a Jaeger Sports Yoga camp near my house (not flexible at all I got about 3 inches on the sit and reach) and I will also be following Jaeger’s yoga training program
-Eliminating the unhealthy foods, which I’ve been doing now for the last 2 months, completely from my diet eating nutritious meals for athletes

I know this seems like a dumb question to ask because everyone’s body responds differently, but is there a chance of me hitting 85 by February 2010? What do you think.
based on all the things you are doing, i definately think it is possible.

Thanks[/quote]

[quote=“centerfield2150”]POSSIBLY MY FAVORITE TRAINING ARTICLE OF ALL TIME.

http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/default.asp

Defracno’s WS4SB III.[/quote]

WS4SB is okay, but I don’t recommend it to baseball players - especially HS or young college athletes. I recommend Mark Rippetoe’s Starting Strength program, as athletes who are inexperienced with weightlifting should learn proper form and follow a linear increase in resistances over 6-8 months. Once they develop proper form and a base of strength with proper nutrition, they should move on to something specialized like the Texas Method or Westside routines.