Strategy for Creating a Non-Standard Batting Order

I’d be interested to here this panel’s theories or strategies for creating a batting order consisting of more than 9 hitters.

In my town, the teams at all levels 5-12 years of age play with 11-13 players per roster and everyone bats before the first person bats a second time (what our town calls a continuous batting order). In a six inning game, the top 5-7 hitters are only guaranteed 2 at bats.

The two main strategies I’ve seen have those best hitters batting together in a cluster at the top of the order, or having those best 5 spread throughout the line-up in an attempt to have at least someone reasonably capable of getting the ball in play up to bat each inning.

Obviously, there are many ways to configure a batting order. I thought I’d try to get some feedback about these two styles and perhaps some new ideas of what else may be a good strategy.

For me, I’ve always tried to keep them together in an attempt to get a big inning, then as we get lower in the order, play some small ball and move any runners who manage to get on base, to create some defensive havok and try to move the batting order as quickly as possible through the weaker hitters to cycle back to the top more quickly.

Keeping the better hitters together gives you the better chance of a big inning or two.

IMO you could cluster the top six in two groups adding one kid who is speedy and can lay down the bunt. I say one, but if you have more than one kid who fits the bill place them into the big hitters groups. This gives you the opportunity to play some small ball to get more base runners into scoring position.

You never know just what might work when it comes to putting together a lineup.
I remember an amusing story about a manager who was at his wit’s end when it came to making up a batting order, and the game was that night. He went home and said to his wife, “Here, you do it. You make up a lineup for tonight’s game.” She went ahead and put together a batting order he never would have dreamed of, it was so far out—but he went to the ballpark, posted a copy on the wall and gave another copy to the plate umpire.
His team won in an absolute blowout—19-2 or something like that. :slight_smile:

Bet he never heard the end of that one!!! :slight_smile:

Sometimes hitters get so caught up in their role and what’s expected of them, they forget they are up there to hit the ball