Stiffening the front leg

This post is regarding stiffening the front leg as it is driving towards the plate. I notice a lot of older pitchers would do it in a fluid motion but even today you see brad lidge and mo do the same thing. Is this part of leading with the hips?

Leading with the front hip is a posture and momentum issue. It has nothing to do with straightening the front leg. In fact, if you really truly get your hips moving and lead with the front hip, you will find it difficult to do anything but plant on a bent front leg. :wink:

Well plant is the beginning of rotation so yes the front leg must be bent, I am referring to the period from the top of the leg lift up to not including plant. http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/ProfessionalPitcherAnalyses/BobGibson.html

Watch Hoot’s front leg up till frame 66. Is this a generational thing?

Plant is the beginning of what rotation?

And what does “generational” mean?

Plant is the beginning of upper body rotation. Generational refers to something that is specific to a certain period of time.

Question regarding this issue. I agree, land with the front leg bent. “soft landing”. At what point, if at all, does the front leg straighten?

Yes I agree with landing on a slightly flexed front leg watch the video. Bob Gibsons lead leg straightens when he drives it towards the plate and I notice that a lot of pitchers in those days did that. Hence, the generational quote. Also, I noticed that a lot of pitchers from China/Japan implement this into their deliveries as well.

This is ASMI’s conclusion regarding the difference between high/low velocities of thrown baseballs. Emphasis is mine.

Is this stabilization after plant?Thiunk of what I am explaining as leading to the plate with the back of the knee almost allowing the leg to go slackm does that exp[lain it better

At foot plant, hip rotation has to finish before upper body rotation begins.

This is ASMI’s conclusion regarding the difference between high/low velocities of thrown baseballs. Emphasis is mine.[/quote]
I’ve seen that but don’t understand it. Specifically, what does “greater front knee extension” mean? Is it degrees of extension? Rate of extension? What is the timing of it?

This is ASMI’s conclusion regarding the difference between high/low velocities of thrown baseballs. Emphasis is mine.[/quote]
I’ve seen that but don’t understand it. Specifically, what does “greater front knee extension” mean? Is it degrees of extension? Rate of extension? What is the timing of it?[/quote]

I believe it to be degrees of extension, since that is a variable tracked in ASMI’s biomechanics report for pitchers. Might be a good question for the ASMI messageboard or Dr. Fleisig himself.