Stiff wrist on knucleball?

My friends all have no problem throwing a knuckleball (not as a pitch, just to mess around) but I cant seem to keep my wrist stiff enough. Is there any way I can make it easier to keep a stiff wrist or is it just practicing it a lot?

Something to remember is, just like there’s a lot of different ways to throw other pitches, there’s a lot of way to throw the KB too. I’ve seen some killer KBs thrown with both floppy and stiff wrists, so there’s something more to it. What I’m saying is, you got it right in what you said at the end. It takes one heck of a lot of practice to gain command and control of any pitch, let alone a KB.

But the biggest thing IMO is, don’t “mess” with it. Get on the bump and try to actually throw the thing. You might find it works pretty well, or you might find you can’t even get it near the catcher. But for sure try it! You never know what’s gonna happen down the road.

Thanks scorekeeper I’ll keep that in mind :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t worry about what wrist action, or lack of it, to use with this particular pitch. The main things to consider are the grip and how tightly or loosely you hold the ball—and the weather conditions. Under certain circumstances the pitch wouldn’t knuckle if you stood on your head—such as a stiff wind blowing in toward the plate, because wind resistance is what will make the ball do what it does.
I remember when I was a kid and I thought it would be fun to try throwing a knuckler—but I got nowhere fast with it, because I threw my curveball with a sharp karate-chop wrist snap, which gave it a sharp break. So what I did was experiment with a few different grips, and I came up with—a knuckle-curve. (Mike Mussina picked his up the same way.) It became my second-best pitch, and I had a lot of fun using it to set up old Filthy McNasty—a killer slider.
So work around with it, find out what works for you, and use it. 8)

It’s kind of tough when you’re first getting used to it.

Don’t think about it too much, that’s when you start spinning them. The most important thing is to follow it out.

Try doing a drill where you toss the ball underhanded towards your ceiling and try to keep the ball from spinning. That’s one way I started working on my knuck.