Sticking with It

I am trying to build up strong legs and a powerful core for the upcoming season. Nutrition, as i have been told, is the #1 thing to getting stronger in addition to working out.

My question is how can i stick to eating a boring daily routine of salads, whole wheat bread, and water with no desserts? In the school cafeteria and the local fast food places are where all my friends hang out, and it is so tough to resist the desire, especially when everyone is stuffing their faces with fries, cheeseburgers, and colas.

What can i do to keep my nutrition as healthy as possible?

Why would you want to stick to that routine?

What is your weight? Height? Bodyfat levels? Squat/deadlift numbers?

My point is that how can i keep myself “into” the whole “Eat Well” nutrition plan. I am 15 years old and weigh 180lbs, 6’1 ft tall. I am not looking to lose weight, just keep my weight the same and “be in shape”.

I am a pitcher, so i need good legs and a strong core. Thats why i need a good nutrition plan.

My philosophy is that the only way to get stronger, besides working out, is to eat well. A good diet will keep you healthy, strong, and have a good mood. I do not eat a vegetarian/Atkins /whatever diet but i try to keep on my weight the best i can.

So why are you punishing yourself? You might as well try to subsist on nothing but cardboard. I would suggest that you consult a dietitian or a nutritionist with regard to a diet that will enable you to maintain your weight, if that’s what you’re after. And said dietitian or nutritionist will probably tell you to add some lean meat, poultry and fish or seafood—it seems that you’re shortchanging yourself, and that’s not going to serve any useful purpose.
And if you want to strengthen that core—I can think of nothing better than something I call “THE SECRET”. This is something I picked up many moons ago from watching how the Yankees’ legendary Big THree pitching rotation did it. They all drove off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, thus generating the power behind their pitches—and the use of the lower half is the real key to a pitcher’s power. You have to get your whole body into the action, and this is a very good way to do it. You can find some specific exercises on both this website and the NPA website; one of the best is called the “Hershiser” drill which aims at getting the hips fully involved, this getting more momentum and more explosiveness into your delivery.
Now this is something you can really stick to. And by the way, there’s no need to deprive yourself of dessert. Once a day, you can have something like jello or low-fat pudding or ice cream; it won’t kill you. A little tip: if you’re concerned about cholesteroll, eating a handful of nuts (raw or dry-roasted unsalted) after a heavier meal witll help lower that miserable stuff. And above all—relax. 8)

i’m 15, 6’1 and 170 lbs and what i do is when my friends go to mcdonalds or somewhere for lunch at school (we go to the mall because theres one right behind my school) ill grab something like subway instead so you can have healthy food, still tastes great and still chill with your friends!!

Better check those subway meals…might not be as good as you might think, some are as bad as mcdonalds.

i just checked it out on the canadian subway nutrition facts and they actually look pretty good except for the amount of sodium which is nuts its about the same amount as a double big mac!!

Just a good idea to stay informed…

Sodium intake is overblown; you’ll be fine.

Just remember that the two major nutritional things to follow are:

1. Setting adequate amount of calories for your target weight
  2. Getting 1g/lb-lean body mass of protein at a minimum

I’m 6’1" 220 lbs and I shoot for ~2700 calories/day + 220g protein/day to maintain my bodyweight.

My calorie intake might be a bit low, but that’s alright considering I’m a bigger guy with a higher amount of BF than most (20-21%). I will probably cut to 205 throughout the season since I can’t lift that intensely with 3 games/week and practices as well. I hope to maintain my strength in-season while cutting weight, maybe getting to 17% BF.