I am proud of my ability to keep an open mind. I do understand. My professional experience however makes me cringe when I hear guys in your profession relying on “street doctors with references” and “reliable reputations” to get prescriptions in order to compete. What happens when a well meaning reliable, reputable, street doctor, “accidentally” obtains a counterfeit steroid that was produced in unsanitary conditions on the black market. And then he sells them to an athlete. I know, I know - if you have a source: he is well researched, with good references from trusted friends. The federal laws and state laws consider steroids in the same category as hard drugs like heroine. I don’t want to argue the reasons why this is right or wrong or how it came about. It is fact. And that fact is the single most important reason steroid users are at risk. There certainly seems to me to be a better way.
Perhaps, if the cost of competing is this high…the goal is not worth it. Perhaps the 35% that aren’t on gear have decided this also. And they may come and go sooner than the other 65%. But they may go to a better professional experience, a supportive of family, better values and less risk.
It’s a tight spot for sure…you have worked so hard to get where you are…it has been a life’s work. Now some are faced with the prospect of a pink slip if they don’t tighten up with gear. It’s hard to let go. So rationalize that its all good, the product is pure, the result is consistent, the friends are true, the dream stays alive, but the law has put you in a precarious position. You are literally chasing the dream now! As the chase is extended the reasons why are farther from your memory. The even playing field you are attempting to establish for yourself creates inequity for others. Those you are chasing are always out ahead because they still have the same talent and they use the same enhancers. Unless…they have something new…and better. It is a chase…with seemingly no end. The game is not a game anymore. When you are chasing like this the truth is:
“Nobody gets in to see the Wizard. NOT NOBODY NOT NO HOW!”[/quote]
I totally understand where your coming from and by no means do I advocate the use of steroids or have I laid my hands on them. I just tend to stick my nose in a lot of the gray areas that I’m unfamiliar with so I can learn and grow. To be honest, I feel that steroids wouldn’t be much of an issue but the enviroment that we’re put in makes it hard to turn your back on them from what I’ve heard. I’m only in my first year and I’m only had a small taste of the competitiveness. I feel that those who arent as advantaged as some players (high paying contracts, family monetary support) have limited options and thats when they turn to steroids. They feel like they’re are on their way out and there hasnt been enough money invested in them by the organization for them to give the player a chance to excel and move up. They feel like they’re on the way out and need to change something to get noticed so they start using, hoping they can boost their game and get noticed.
This is what I’ve been exposed to and from hearing a lot of the guys talk. Everyone thinks its a sweet life playing baseball but you’re under constant strain everyday and i believe when a player is stressed to the max they turn to steroids or alcohol/drugs.