Stepping back now

Twelve years old and his confidence is lost… THis caoch, just to prove himself I suppose pit my son against the best team we’ve seen all year. Big time hitters…!
After the way he, ( this coach) showed his own lack of confidence in my son. After the last two months of this coach twisting my boy’s mind into making Jon think he was no good…
I knew it> JOn had no confidence in himself when he took the mound. When I saw expression on his face and all that cloud of doubt. NOrmally JOn never shows expression at all.
So he ended up giving up 12 runs in the first inning… :cry: . When the coach pulled Jon because he couldn’t shake the nerves that had him working against himself.
I know the boy is better than that and even after JOn was pulled from the mound - the other pitchers had a hard time against this team too. THis was no easy team and it was such a hard fall and big loss to JOn. So I watch the rest of the game thinking about how my boy felt - thinking what I was going to say to him to help lift him up out of this.
With the situation being - me being his mom, knowing the boy’s got the talent and ability to do this… and realizing that in the last 2 months JOn’s lost his " want to" .
So when the moment came, in the car I just told him that- he can do this. That he could have played and pitched a better game if he’d wanted to. " If he thought about defending himself and defending his game - his mound." and that he wasn’t the only one - they all made serious mistakes, but tthat they all made critical mistakes tonight. YOu win as team and loose as a team…
THen told him straight up- that he was going to have to work at and get better! - Find his want to and use it. I know tht there alot of things he hasn’t learn and doesn’t know.-But that’s where everybody starts. It’s like that for everybody at some point.
It’s time for me to step back and let this pitching coach work with him and teach him all he can. The day has come for me to step back and let my son become his own man.

My question is “how much does Jon want this?” If he really wants to become a good pitcher, you need to frame this properly for him. The team he played against was of his age group, correct? If so, he now knows the challenge he’s facing. Does he seriously want to be able to compete well against kids of that calibre? If so, he’s got a lot of work to do. This could really be an amazing motivator or it could be a crusher. It all depends on his desires. Wanting to be good enough and doing what it will take to be that good are two different things. We need to be realists here. I like to think that every kid has the potential to do wonderful things, given the right work ethic and the right guidance (yes, physical attributes are a factor). So, does he have the right work ethic? That’s where you come in Mom. That’s where his real ambitions come in. Does he have the right guidance? That’s the tough one. How do you know that this pitching coach has what it takes? I know some in my area who call themselves pitching coaches but who really don’t know. They pass on what they always did or what they heard another coach say. Mom, you either need to learn as much as you can about this pitching thing or you trust someone else to do it for you. That’s so hard because there are so many people who sound knowledgeable but you’ll find that there are as many approaches out there that “sound logical” but are fundamentally different. How do you know which one is “correct”? Tough job. My own personal opinion is that SETPRO has the best handle on the mechanics of pitching. I hate to say that because the owner’s a real pain but I believe he has the best understanding of this stuff. I don’t know Steven Ellis’ program, so I can’t comment on that. SETPRO’s expensive though. Many people swear by Ron Wolforth but I think much of his knowledge comes from SETPRO. It’s very hard to know wihch way to turn. I’ve decided to learn as much as I can from as many sources as possible but that has the potential to confuse.

So, do it youself or leave it up to someone else. Welcome to the wonderful world of pitching.