Stephen Strasburg

I found this great film of Strasburg the best prospect in the country, one of him getting 23 K’s in a college game, and one of slow motion mechanics. Tell me what you think of him:

I think that he has a nice delivery, a little bit of recoil at the end will probably raise his risk of injury. Has amazing stuff too.

Not only that but the scout that was looking at him caught him hitting 100 mph with his fastball and then his slider at 94 with a good bite to both that and the change-up.

I’m not sure that there is much to say about him. If you were to point out something wrong with his mechanics, it would have to be Chris O’leary’s statement about hyperabducting the elbow in the back, but thats nitpicking this guy…Lets be serious, he throws 100 with a loose arm action and has a feel for pitching.

Big legs

Nice Slo Mo

Interesting to me that on follow thru of his delivery he never clears his glove past his upper thigh while he crosses over with his throwing arm. I noticed my kid does this and this is the first video I’ve seen with a pitcher doing the same. I’m sure there are others but with the big thread on “pulling the glove” I didn’t want to dredge up old news.

Looks very studly to me… :twisted:

He’s gonna be a beast for the nationals next season :lol:

I’d venture to guess while he is healthy he is going to be outstanding. However, I see an elbow injury in his future. I hope not, but the way he lifts his arm with his elbow is a bit troubling. He is not as bad as a Liriano but still does it.

I’d only seen him pitch once before for Team USA, and I thought he looked alot better in this vid than the other, maybe it was just the angles. As far as Stephen goes, he has some phenomenal, All Star Caliber stuff right now, he could probably join a team right now and do a decent job, hes the obvious number one pick for Washington. Fastball in the vid looks to be mid/high 90’s, probably sitting around 96-97 and peaking close to triple digits WITH LIFE, he has some great movement on his two seam fastball. Slider is filthy, its a true, sharp lateral breaking pitch with velocity. Didn’t see any changeups, but he obviously doesn’t need one in college. As for his mechanics, his arm action isn’t perfect, he has some of that inverted W going on, and I agree with Chris that the W can cause problems. But it doesn’t look too serious or exaggerated, so for now I would give him the benefit of the doubt injury wise.

I would venture as far as to say he has stuff that is as good as Lincecum’s was when Tim was drafted, and thats saying something.

Edit- I just finished watching the video… WOW. I can count the number of sliders I’ve seen break like that on one hand, and I’m talking professional players here. If he stays healthy, this kid will be untouchable…

I would agree with that sentiment. He does appear to pick the ball up with his elbow and hyperabduct a tad bit, which Chris Oleary believes can cause problems.

That aside, I would put him in the same class as a lincecum, and as weird as this sounds, I like Strasburg a little bit more because of his height and length and the way the ball comes out of his hand. (Obviously, this is a personal preference, and its really nothing against Lincecum or saying that Strasburg will be better than him)

[quote=“blake41524”]I would agree with that sentiment. He does appear to pick the ball up with his elbow and hyperabduct a tad bit, which Chris Oleary believes can cause problems.

That aside, I would put him in the same class as a lincecum, and as weird as this sounds, I like Strasburg a little bit more because of his height and length and the way the ball comes out of his hand. (Obviously, this is a personal preference, and its really nothing against Lincecum or saying that Strasburg will be better than him)[/quote]

I would second this, I don’t generally like the whole Prior “picking the ball up” thing, but the guys who do it generally seem to get ridiculous extension out in the front of their delivery. It seems that something about that paticular arm action lets you put some vicious torque on the baseball.

LOL well i’ve watched this video more than a couple times, i’m just blown away by this guy. I mean he has the best stuff of any ameteur I’ve ever seen… Counting lincecum, counting price. (for the record, lincecums stuff has taken another step since he went pro, because now he owns one of the games best changeups) But Stephen strasburg is just so good, it’s stupid lol.

I would agree…the velocity and ride that he gets on his fastball is incredible

I gotta go watch this guy the next time he pitches against Utah, BYU or Wyoming.

I saw this article on strasburg. Pretty interesting

What’s the problem with being the number 1 draft prospect in major league baseball? Being ripe for the picking by a miserable, pitiful, corrupt organization like the Washington Nationals. Last year it was Pedro Alvarez and the mealy mouthed Pittsburgh Pirates. (BTW I’ve decided to wear a T-Shirt with the number 17 on it to all the Pirates games this year in honor of their goal of setting the MLB losing record of 17 straight years.)

Super Agent Boras will not let Strasburg go cheap, even in this economy and the Nats are too busy falsifying Dominican birth certificates, skimming bonus money and partying to give a rats rearend.

If the Nats don’t trade their first pick, it could get ugly for Strasburg. What a shame.

I wish it was possible for picks to be traded.

I’d love to see my phils get this freak.

^^^ wishful thinking, then again, who da world champs?

i see where a lot of you are coming from on his arm action and such, and i wouldn’t count out an elbow surgery somewhere in his future, but lets remember that this guy can throw 100+ mph…i would say that maybe with the exception of Nolan Ryan, this guy has the smoothest, cleanest mechanics of any guy i’ve seen that throws 100+…think of guys who throw/threw 100 mph…wagner and zumaya are max effort type guys…verlanders mechs seem decent to me but he’s very upright…there aren’t many guys who throw 100 that seem as polished as strasburg, keep in mind that he’s a college junior! his basic mechanics of his motion are very good…he stays closed, gets great extension, gets over his front leg, leads pretty decent with his hips…all in all he’s pretty solid…i believe that if any of us posted a video of ourselves with his mechanics we’d get some pretty good praise over in the mechanics and analyses forums…sure we can nit-pick his mechanics and maybe we’re right but he is by no means a train-wreck! and he’s gonna get paid! haha

good post throwinched, I agree with you that he has very good mechanics, although I’m still somewhat concerned about his recoiling arm on his follow through. In response to Verlander having a tall delivery, I would think that it would make him be a better pitcher since his pitches have more downward plane to them and make them more difficult to read.