Staying closed

i have NO idea what this means

someone help me out?

staying closed mean the front shoulder isn’t flying out at landing and you are getting the strech in the torso because you aren’t flying open.

Away to find out if you are doing this would be if you point the shoulder at the left or right of the middle of the plate depending on right or left handed pitcher.

It means keeping your shoulders aligned between 2nd base and home until your front foot lands. Your hips stay “closed” until just before landing. They “open” up into landing while your shoulders stay closed.

I think Nyman disapproves the idea/cue of ‘staying closed’.
Here’s a computer model of Nolan Ryan. You can see that his front foot actually rotate (along with hips) before landing.
[/img]

[quote=“vertigo”]I think Nyman disapproves the idea/cue of ‘staying closed’.
Here’s a computer model of Nolan Ryan. You can see that his front foot actually rotate (along with hips) before landing.[/quote]
There aren’t many pitchers who have the flexibility to open up the foot to point it at the target at foot plant without starting to open the hips. So it is common for the hips to start to open up into foot plant. But that doesn’t mean that the hips complete their rotation at foot plant. There still might be some hip rotation that occurs right after foot plant.

Certainly the shoulders stay closed through all of this. Ideally, the shoulder stay closed until maximum hip and shoulder separation is achieved.

So, how does Nyman disprove the idea of staying closed?

[quote=“vertigo”]I think Nyman disapproves the idea/cue of ‘staying closed’.
Here’s a computer model of Nolan Ryan. You can see that his front foot actually rotate (along with hips) before landing. [/quote]Nobody on this board says that the hips stay closed until landing. Dick Mills used to say that until relatively recently but has changed that to recognize the fact that the hips do open just before landing.

So, if you read the posts above again, you’ll note that we align with Nyman’s thoughts.