Staying closed, at last! (video included)

As many of you know, I’ve been on a quest to staying closed for well over three months now, and I may have a breakthrough. I tried all sorts of different strategies, but nothing really helped me stay fully closed. Then I realized something: what if my arm action was the problem?? I know most of you say arm action is genetic and shouldn’t be changed, but just watch the video and see how I stay closed with this new arm action. I haven’t had a chance to test it with a ball yet, because my arm is currently sore, but I will soon enough. I haven’t conclusively solved my problem yet, but these preliminary videos dry throwing on flat ground seem promising.

Here’s the first video, when I was just trying out the different arm action. It shows both, one right after the other.

Here’s the second video, after practicing it a little bit. Arm was sore so I didn’t do the motion more than about 40-50% intensity. Should still be an obvious difference.

is arm action something I should be changing if it helps me stay closed and prevents rushing?

First, try throwing a ball.

Then, try moving your throwing arm faster. Get it going quickly.

[quote=“palo20”]First, try throwing a ball.

Then, try moving your throwing arm faster. Get it going quickly.[/quote]

this is vague advice and completely useless until you expand upon it. A million ways I could get my throwing arm going faster, the wrong way.

It seems like theres alot of whip in your arm. I dont know how to explain it though.

I was short on time. It’s tough to really say without a ball, so get video while actually throwing.

Try getting the arm going quickly, right from the hand break.

You absolutely look closed to me in these shots. Your hips are open and your topside remains closed

Looks good

yes, the next logical step is to do this while throwing a ball and see how it feels. I will do this tomorrow if possible, and get you guys a video with a ball sometime next weekend.

I was just checking that the new arm action looked ok and that I stayed closed, something I have never been able to do before this.

you have big timing issues… if you havent had elbow or shoulder problems yet you will soon… the reason for the “whip” is that when your foot first plants and your shoulders are closed your arm still isnt in the high cocked position so it has to rapidly extrenally rotate which stresses the shoulders like hell, it seems that the timing problems is due to the inverted W that you make seems that you do the “inverted W” im not too sure if this is an big cause of injury but i wouldnt take my chances seeing guys like kerry wood, mark prior and others get almost career ending injuries using it… good job of staying closed now get the timing right…

Thats what I was thinking.

maybe you should try throwing at 100% with a towel or a ball…all the time in this forum i see people sayin “this is my pen at 72%” or somthing like that and then ask for advice. its retarded if you want advice throw at full speed so we can see what is making the problem the way it is. throwing at under 60% then asking how your arm looks is useless

maybe you should try throwing at 100% with a towel or a ball…all the time in this forum i see people sayin “this is my pen at 72%” or somthing like that and then ask for advice. its retarded if you want advice throw at full speed so we can see what is making the problem the way it is. throwing at under 60% then asking how your arm looks is useless

I have already acknowledged my problem with rushing in my old arm action. I assume you are referring to the first three pitches in the first video - these are with the old arm action. Could you please comment on the second video? I have checked and even shown the frames at landing positions and with the new arm action my forearm is vertical at landing position. The whole point I changed my arm action was to see if it would solve my problem with rushing and flying open.

first of all I’m not “retarded,” I was actually being smart about my arm which was sore at the time. While I agree it’s ideal to get a video throwing 70% + from a mound (which I already promised to do), this is all I could get at the time. I don’t believe it’s useless, because I have compared my old arm action at 40% with my old arm action at 90% and I have exactly the same problems with rushing and opening early. Thus, it’s reasonable to think that these mechanics wouldn’t change dramatically with a ball.

you can tell some basic things about timing, general release, and weight shift watching someone throw easy. i did it tonight with my best 12u who is tender and drove 2 hours for a session. most guys who have problems try to create the pitch behind their head instead of in front of their head. i think this is very important, along with a relaxed flexed elbow in the throwing arm.

ya they wouldnt change dramatically but you could just as well fix it and then try and throw normal and have more problems. looks like your trying to push the ball. you have no fluidity you need to learn how to loosen your arm. you need to throw more instead of just analizing everything.

ya they wouldnt change dramatically but you could just as well fix it and then try and throw normal and have more problems. looks like your trying to push the ball. you have no fluidity you need to learn how to loosen your arm. you need to throw more instead of just analizing everything.

I have already acknowledged my problem with rushing in my old arm action. I assume you are referring to the first three pitches in the first video - these are with the old arm action. Could you please comment on the second video? I have checked and even shown the frames at landing positions and with the new arm action my forearm is vertical at landing position. The whole point I changed my arm action was to see if it would solve my problem with rushing and flying open.[/quote]

in the second video, if you stop it at foot plant, your shoulders have already started turning and you have just made it to the cocked position, the key isnt really to get the arm vertical at foot plant but really to get it vertical BEFORE the shoulders start turning, the reason people say to get it vertical at foot plant is because it is natural that shoulders start turning at foot plant but in you case your lead shoulder opens up to early at foot plant, which is still rushing, much improved from the first video…your almost there 8)

keep your head up when you throw

ok well I was comparing my landing position to this picture and they looked the same to me but you are probably right.

Also, how am I pushing the “ball?” Yes, my arm doesn’t get into full external rotation because I’m not throwing a ball, is this what you mean?

This may be a good point about me analyzing my mechanics too much, but it’s definitely not taking away from me throwing. You act as though I analyze rather than going out there and throwing. On the contrary, I have stuck to my throwing program, throwing at least 4 times a week, and I am working hard on my own to improve. I think you will agree that my “natural” arm action is less than satisfactory, causing me to rush and fly open.