Staying back

How do you teach a pitcher to stay back when striding? Are there drills for this type of mechanical fix?

Balance drill. Have them pick their leg up, and bring it down to the same spot, touching with just their toe two or three times then finally have them stride and deliver.

I agree with bert, I have always called that “the crossover drill”. I don’t think I have seen it on youtube but maybe my kid will video tape it soon.

The balance drill teaches the whole body to stay back which makes you slow to the plate. While there are some pro pitchers who do that (e.g. Dan Haren, Doug Davis, etc.), it’s not what the majority of pitchers do.

I suggest using the Hershiser drill to focus on leading with the front hip. That, in effect, teaches the upper half to stay back while the lower half gets going sooner (while stride knee is still lifting).

Right you are, Roger! The “Hershiser” drill, which aims at getting the hips fully involved, is a key component of what I have referred to as “The Secret”—something I learned a long time ago. As I was watching how the Yankees’ Big Three rotation of the late 40s to the mid-50s was doing it, I realized that this was really the key to a pitcher’s power—driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, and the hips were the connection between the two halves of the body. When you get that continuous motion, there’s that uninterrupted flow of energy all the way up through the shoulder to the arm, and that is how you get more power behind your pitches—not to mention takikng a lot of pressure off said shoulder and arm so you can throw harder (and faster) with less effort.
Now, I didn’t have a fast ball to speak of—I was one of THOSE pitchers—but I could throw harder and more accurately. I also learned something about taking more stuff off my pitches, something my pitching coach was very good at, and I got a lot of strikeouts as a result. Not bad for a snake-jazzer. 8) :slight_smile:

Hershiser Drill is great and easily accessible on the net. Try youtube.com