Starting Over

Hi All -

New to this board… I’ve been reading through a ton of posts - mostly the pitching mechanics thread. I have to say I find all the information very beneficial - I only wish I had run across it earlier.

Like many on this board - I’ve been playing baseball since I could walk… I’ve always had a farily strong arm (been clocked 80-83), but was never really taught proper mechanics - at least from a pitching standpoint. My mechanics finally caught up to me last year, pitching in 25+ league. I’m not sure what is wrong w/the shoulder yet - but I know something is torn.

Anyway, I got this idea… since I’m teaching my 3 boys baseball, and they are just beginning to learn how to throw. I figured, why don’t I start throwing lefty - see how long it takes. Use the information that I’ve read in the posts and try to apply them. Well, I’ve been throwing every other day for the last couple of months. It was extremely awkward at first, but I have to say I’m very pleased with my progess thus far. I certainly have to continue to work on the shoulder/hip seperation, and push off/thrusting off back leg (left leg not as strong). A couple more months and I’ll post some video, that I hope to get pointers from you all…

The one thing I’m concerned about, and was wondering your input…
I dislocated my left shoulder 5x’s before having surgery to keep it in place… I’m wodering if I’m going to be limited on my velocity, because I may not be able to get much external rotation w/the surgery - any thoughts.

Thanks alot, look forward to reading more posts

Thanks,
Lee

[quote=“ebkcontainers”]Hi All -

New to this board… I’ve been reading through a ton of posts - mostly the pitching mechanics thread. I have to say I find all the information very beneficial - I only wish I had run across it earlier.

Like many on this board - I’ve been playing baseball since I could walk… I’ve always had a farily strong arm (been clocked 80-83), but was never really taught proper mechanics - at least from a pitching standpoint. My mechanics finally caught up to me last year, pitching in 25+ league. I’m not sure what is wrong w/the shoulder yet - but I know something is torn.

Anyway, I got this idea… since I’m teaching my 3 boys baseball, and they are just beginning to learn how to throw. I figured, why don’t I start throwing lefty - see how long it takes. Use the information that I’ve read in the posts and try to apply them. Well, I’ve been throwing every other day for the last couple of months. It was extremely awkward at first, but I have to say I’m very pleased with my progess thus far. I certainly have to continue to work on the shoulder/hip seperation, and push off/thrusting off back leg (left leg not as strong). A couple more months and I’ll post some video, that I hope to get pointers from you all…

I dislocated my left shoulder 5x’s before having surgery to keep it in place… I’m wodering if I’m going to be limited on my velocity, because I may not be able to get much external rotation w/the surgery - any thoughts.

Thanks alot, look forward to reading more posts

Thanks,
Lee[/quote]first off, i respect you a lot for taking on such a hard task, it took me 8 months to start throwing lefty good and now im throwing just about as good as what i can with my right arm, it takes a lot of work, its almost like your 6 years old again and in tee ball or whatever you guys have down there, dont expect to be throwing 80 quite yet as that might come 1-2 years later

[quote=“ebkcontainers”]Anyway, I got this idea… since I’m teaching my 3 boys baseball, and they are just beginning to learn how to throw. I figured, why don’t I start throwing lefty - see how long it takes. Use the information that I’ve read in the posts and try to apply them. Well, I’ve been throwing every other day for the last couple of months. It was extremely awkward at first, but I have to say I’m very pleased with my progess thus far. I certainly have to continue to work on the shoulder/hip seperation, and push off/thrusting off back leg (left leg not as strong). A couple more months and I’ll post some video, that I hope to get pointers from you all…

I dislocated my left shoulder 5x’s before having surgery to keep it in place… I’m wodering if I’m going to be limited on my velocity, because I may not be able to get much external rotation w/the surgery - any thoughts.[/quote]

I have been doing something similar. When I play catch with my daughter, I throw lefty. That makes me more sympathetic and patient. It also makes me a better teacher.

In terms of your left shoulder, that will probably limit your velocity. You won’t have the stability you need to throw very hard.

Tanner, thanks - It is quite a hard task, especially when you’ve been throwing for 30+ years as a righty. I just have to be patient, and hope the arm strength continues to develop. My goal is to be pitching in the 25+ league in 2 years as a lefty…

So Tanner, since you can throw 90+ righty - what gave you the idea to start throwing lefty? Is throwing left, something you’ll plan on doing in college?

Right now, all I’m doing is throwing, throwing and throwing… working in pitching mechanics… How did you go about it?

BTW, congrats on commiting to Eastern Iowa - I’m guessing you have a full ride?

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]
In terms of your left shoulder, that will probably limit your velocity. You won’t have the stability you need to throw very hard.[/quote]

Chris, that’s what I was afraid of… I’m also hoping that the force of throwing doesn’t wreck what was done in there…

Have you known of any pitchers that have gone through dislocation surgery, and have come back? I’m guessing it’s more common in quarterbacks, since they have to take hits.

Thanks,
Lee

I have done something simular, but not with throwing. I started batting switch about 5 years ago, when I was 12yrs old. Now after having a couple of years to practice, I can almost hit as good as I can righty. I don’t have as much power, but my contact is above average. As for me hitting as a righty, I play 30 games in my highschool season, and I hit about 5hr’s as a righty. None as a lefty. But I did manage to get some hits as a lefty which was good enough for me. Since most people who first start off hitting lefty before they get some practice they lool like they are a little girl LOL. Note I am not a big guy at only 5’11’’ 165lbs. So it doesnt take a huge guy to go out there and crank some out. Just a good solid swing, simular to good pitching mechanics. I know this doesn’t have much to do with throwing lefty, but if you want to learn how to hit lefty it’s a little easier.