Start throwing?

Hi,

My son last threw on Sept 6th.

His team’s baseball tryouts start in Feb. They go twice a week for two hours.

How much throwing and how far of a distance should he do to begin?

When should he start throwing off a mound?

usually after taking a break for a month from throwing I would start back up. I wouldn’t go 100% though, my main goal is to keep the arm in shape and work on offspeed stuff and mechanics.

You keep your arm healthy and strong by throwing. If you have bad mechanics then this would stress your arm out a ton.

so after a month off…and just to bring in another thought, some pro’s don’t even take a break from throwing…besides the regular season some play fall and winter ball.

I agree. But my son has had almost 4 months off, and when Tryouts start he would have 5 months off. I just want to make sure I keep his arm healthy. I heard this coach has his players throw ALOT and I mean alot at the start of the first couple of tryouts then he has them pitch off a mound.

I think I heard he has them throw no further than 60 feet, for about two hours for the first 4 tryouts, 2 tryouts a week then during the fifth tryout he has them throw off a mound.

What are your thoughts?

[quote] heard this coach has his players throw ALOT and I mean alot at the start of the first couple of tryouts then he has them pitch off a mound.
[/quote]

If that’s the case then you don’t want your kid to go from 0 to 100 percent. His arm will be out of shape and he’ll feel it. Then by the time his mound work comes around he’ll won’t be 100% physically and mentally.

To keep it in shape…start throwin now, not tryin to overdo it but just getting the arm strength back and muscles in shape to throw.

Think of it as a marathon…you can’t just go from sittin on the couch eatin ice cream and watchin oprah to the next day runnin 30 miles without any training/conditioning. You want to use the time off to get in shape and conditioned so when the event comes, it would be like another day at the gym…but with other people to compete with.

You might want to try throwing lightly then build up to the level you want to be at. Good Luck!:slight_smile:

[quote=“thunderdevil”]Hi,

My son last threw on Sept 6th.

His team’s baseball tryouts start in Feb. They go twice a week for two hours.

How much throwing and how far of a distance should he do to begin?

When should he start throwing off a mound?[/quote]

If tryouts are in Feb. you are already late. You should’ve started in November.

I would disagree with the last post…you aren’t ALREADY late. As a professional baseball player, I have to report to spring training in the beginning of March and I usually begin my long toss program at the end of December. So you do need to get started right away, but he should be fine come tryouts.

You didn’t mention how old your son is, but i would say that you are never too young to long toss. The only difference would be if he is pitching from little league, AAU, or professional distance.

Regardless, you must start shorter for the first few sessions and gradually build up the distance. You have to train the muscles of the arm to throw further than the pitching distance to allow for it to effectively locate once you on the mound. You would want to long toss three to four times a week in the first week and then every week after, add an extra day of throwing until you are throwing six days a week. Come February, its time to mix in some bullpens with your long toss…i.e. long toss on monday, bullpen tuesday, day off wednesday, long toss thursday, bullpen friday…light toss Saturday…(this is just an example, not necessarily the only way it can be done)

As for the coach only throwing from 60 feet…that makes very little sense to me. Make sure your son is well adjusted to long toss and pitching from the mound, come try out time.