Standing Long jump for pitchers

Is the standing long jump a necessary workout for pitchers? My best jump was 107 inches but I don’t know if this means anything

Do professional pitchers do this exercise? If so, what are their distances?

Could be used as part of a routine. There also seems to be some correlation between standing broad jump distance and pitching velocity but this is an immature concept at this point, I believe.

I don’t think a standing long jump is “necessary” for pitchers, but it could be a nice thing to implement into their workouts.

I look at it as another possible plyometric exercise. I would be cautious however to extend it out so much that it can cause injury.

Stu

There’s no question that ploymetric training like long jumps, bounding, leaping, etc, has some benefits for pitchers. To your point, I do wish that in addition to the 60 yd dash times and 90 mph pitch speed there were some other criteria that pro scouts took a look at at showcases and combine camps…

Hey Steven what were the other things they looked at or tested?

We have 160 players in our organization and twice a year we assess them in many areas. Broad jump is one of them and I agree, there is a definite correlation to throwing velocity.

We also track: 10 yard dash, pull ups, vertical jump, among other range of motion measurements.

Kids that are capable of explosive, full body movements are capable of higher velocities.

Interesting.

What age groups are you working with, and do you see a drop off in this correlation as a pitcher get older?

Stu

Interesting.

What age groups are you working with, and do you see a drop off in this correlation as a pitcher get older?

Stu[/quote]

We have players ages 8 to 14. If you were to just list the 10-yard dash times and broad jump measurements without names you could pick out the hardest throwers sight unseen and age unknown. (with some exceptions)

This correlation seems reasonable to me. If someone is capable of explosive, full body movements, they can also do that in their throwing motion.

Its those “exceptions” that I find interesting/worrisome.

A theory I have is that if a players 10 yard dash time and broad jump do not indicate a player that throws with high velocity, but they do, they are at a higher risk for injury. The second worrisome group is the ones that I have high velocity, good explosive movement measurements but poor functional strength measurements (pullups, body weight squats and lunges). My goal is not to ever find out if there is a correlation here. I want to make them all well rounded physically.

Its early in the development of our program, but the players I am really excited about are the youngsters with high measurement scores but their velocity has not come yet.