Stance Question

For a 12 year old-
Myy son has been taught to stand up straight but relaxed when starting a pitch. but he recently had a lesson from a different teacher where he was told to have a slight knee flex, and lean slightly forward while holding the glove out about 6 inches in front of him.
Does this introduce unwanted tension, or is this a good fundamental?

Thank you

I would prefer standing in a way that was relaxed but that I could easily move out of and into my wind up.

i agree with spenc,

u never see any pro pitchers in 1 particular stance, its all personal preference

If you want to eliminate unnecessary movement from a pitcher’s delivery, then what was suggested for your son might be appropriate. Many young pitchers start off standing up straight as an arrow but as soon as they lift their knee and start their stride, they bend their knees and waist resulting in their whole body dropping and their head and shoulders moving forward (toward 3B for a RHP). What’s actually happening is they are adjusting into a more athletic posture - one which they have the strength to maintain through their delivery while lifting the knee and moving toward the plate. If such a pitcher starts in this more athletic posture, then he doesn’t need to adjust into it during the delivery.

So, if your son can’t lift his knee and start forward without bending the knees and waist during the stride, then starting off that way may very well be a good thing for him.

[quote=“Roger”]If you want to eliminate unnecessary movement from a pitcher’s delivery, then what was suggested for your son might be appropriate. Many young pitchers start off standing up straight as an arrow but as soon as they lift their knee and start their stride, they bend their knees and waist resulting in their whole body dropping and their head and shoulders moving forward (toward 3B for a RHP). What’s actually happening is they are adjusting into a more athletic posture - one which they have the strength to maintain through their delivery while lifting the knee and moving toward the plate. If such a pitcher starts in this more athletic posture, then he doesn’t need to adjust into it during the delivery.

So, if your son can’t lift his knee and start forward without bending the knees and waist during the stride, then starting off that way may very well be a good thing for him.[/quote]

QFT

I agree that it sounds like the instructor is trying to eliminate the movement that pitchers can get prior to getting to the “Post” position. What you describe really sounds like how my sons pitching instructor wants it done.

Wut dat? I’m not hip to your jive.