Stamina And Velocity

Hello all. I’m new to this Forum. I’m 14 years old and I’ll be going into High School this fall. I was wondering if there’s any excersizes or workouts I could do to increase stamina and velocity. Right now I can get mid 60’s to low 70’s. I just got done with Little League baseball yesterday, as I was picked as an All-Star to be on an All-Star team to play in the Southwest Colorado, District 1 Tournament. And we faced a right hander that wasn’t much taller then me (5’6" - 5’9") who could throw some heat… maybe in the high 70’s to lower 80’s. How could I get to that speed or just below it?

If someone could get back to me on this, I’d surely appreciate it!

Thanks

There are many things on here you can do to increase those things and I am positive your are going to get some good feedback. Here are some things for you to work on.

1. Long Toss- this will build arm strength which is what your looking to do.
  2. Working Out- this includes running, i find distance works well for endurance but you also want to intertwine some sprints, also you can start lifting and theres plenty of workouts avaialable, just ask on here.

Those two are good starts, another thing to keep in mind is how your mechanics are a quick way to increase velocity if you have bad mechanics is to implement good mechanics.

There are also some other things like weighted balls that I dont know much about but people on here seem to think they work.

I’m not going to talk too much about mechanics because that is not my area of expertise. Steven would be the one to approach about that. However, you are definitely old enough to start strength training. I don’t know if you have lifted before but its time to start. You aren’t going to be going against 14 year olds anymore. You have the possibility of facing 18 year olds now.

Although you need to start lifting, you need to be careful when you begin. Now isn’t the time to start putting as much weight as you can on a bar. I’d seek a professional who can put you on a safe program. I have programs available or you can find a local gym or training facility and look for a strength coach/personal trainer.

Another thing I’d like you to consider is that if you are focusing on how hard this other kid throws then I think your focus is on the wrong thing. It may serve as motivation but you need to look at where you are right now and what you need to do to improve yourself. I have seen a lot of young kids who blew away their competition but then all of a sudden everyone else caught up to them and now they are just average. You need to start building some overall strength, work with a pitching coach to get your mechanics in tune, and then you need to juat play and have fun.