Stalker, Jugs, and Bushnell

I have a Bushnell and I was clocked at 70-74 but I did it from 105 feet and also had a fence inbetween the gun and the mound.
So idk if that would slow the reading down a couple mph or speed it up do you know what it would do?

Another question is I know a Jugs is 2-3 MPH faster then a Stalker but where does a Bushnell radar gun fit in is it a slower reading all the time or a faster reading?

Could I be throwing 75+ because the gun read wrong and is slower and less accurate because of a fence and also 105 feet away which is like pretty far away for this gun?

Just want to know your view on the matter

Ps. I know MPH isn’t the most important thing but I have control and everything this post should just be about radar guns not what is important more MPH or control or movement etc…

I know very little about Bushnell guns.

However, any radar gun is getting the ball out of the hand… So it doesn’t matter that you were a hundred and 5 feet away. I doubt the fencing mattered either. Whoever was holding the gun should know if it was accurate. The reading will show up immediately upon release if the gun picks it up properly. Occasionally, if the gun isn’t held properly the reading will be a few miles slower and will showup later.

A bushnell requires you to press the button after the ball is in the air and so it ISNT reading out of the hand and so it may be a little slower

I don’t see why this matters. The only reason you would need a radar gun would be to tell if you are getting faster or not. I’m sure that its a very accurate gun compared to each different reading. That’s really all you need. As long as you know your getting faster or slower you should be set, right?

jugs and stalker are within 1 mph of each other and usually exactly the same. every now and then i have heard the jugs is 1 mph faster. i think they are a dead heat. i’ve seen them side by side.

the bushnell has a big swing. i guess that would depend on when you pulled the trigger.

the little unit you put on the catcher’s glove works very well if you’re looking for cheap.

[quote=“dusty delso”]jugs and stalker are within 1 mph of each other and usually exactly the same. every now and then i have heard the jugs is 1 mph faster. i think they are a dead heat. i’ve seen them side by side.

the bushnell has a big swing. i guess that would depend on when you pulled the trigger.

the little unit you put on the catcher’s glove works very well if you’re looking for cheap.[/quote]

I wonder if this is any good :lol:
Only $30!

Use the same brand gun and you will be able to tell any differences if your that worried about 1-2 MPH. It may not be accurate, but it will be precise none the less.

Do you want to stroke your ego RIstar?

control
movement
velocity

Thank you everyone for your replies

I understand that control is most important and then movemnt and then MPH. I have no problems with control or movement it’s just I was wondering about my radar gun and how accurate it was.

Stalkers are the way to go as far as accuracy, and comparing to what the College levels and beyond throw, also any good showcases (PG, College Select etc.) you attend use Stalker’s.

I’ve never been clocked on Bushnell, and I haven’t heard of too many guys who have been clocked by one.

The following is excerpts from various posts from another site that I frequent.

Bushnell’s normally read 1-2 MPH SLOWER then Stalkers because the Bushnell’s tend to read low because they don’t pick the pitch up until it is closer to the gun. The range of s Bushnell is roughly 50-60 feet. Also, it doesn’t have a “peak hold” feature. You have to be quick in releasing the trigger once you get a reading. So don’t expect to get any game readings from it. It’s been suggested by many people that Bushnell’s are for dads and bullpens where your primary motive is to gauge progress, year by year.

I don’t know about Bushnell’s but a Stalker/Jugs can be used through a common metal chain link fence backstop. Pro scouts do it all the time. The fence might reduce range a bit, but won’t affect the speed.

Hope this helps

OK I figured it would be slower so I’m throwing around 72-76 in that range right now. So it’s pretty good

Thanks for the replies from everyone.

Ps. I will use the radar gun next season closer to the mound or to the catcher so it’s better.

RI I have a question for you when you say you throw approx. 72-76 does that mean you top at 76 and crusie at 72? Saying you throw 72-76 is a pretty wide range.

My Tops once and awhile would be 75 or 76 but I sit at 72 MPH most of the time but can dial it up a little more sometimes. Depends on the day and how my arm feels and all that stuff like rest.

At the amateur level I’m not a big fan of radar guns and the like.Although I have a couple myself and some other gizmos, I keep them stored away. Besides, if these things weren’t issued to me I wouldn’t use them anyway.

In the amateur game these devices promote nothing but brute force from a youngster.And there in is the biggest fallacy and drawback with using these things. At say, eighteen years old most pitchers aren’t concerned with location and finesse - as much as they are with firepower. I wish I had a nickel for every pitcher that came to a club that I was coaching who had Flamethrower for a nick name. Then, at about the third inning– when the flame went out because the apposing bench was adjusting – I get this look of …” Ahhh, what did you want to teach me coach??”

In addition, they can be easily damaged by someone who’s not trained in their proper use. Not to mention, very few coaches at the amateur level –including the big name colleges, know how to articulate these devices for the pitch selection of any given player. For example, if you’re known for your fastball by location – can you adjust your fastball by five miles per hour and still command location? IT DOES MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. Mind you, I’m still talking fastball, NOT a change-up. Again, it does make a difference.

Also, a radar gun in the proper hands cans give you refinement from the left/middle/right side of the rubber for your pitch selection. Using the entire front of the rubber – in increments, can definitely change the Angle of Attack on your incoming pitch and the highest probability of the desired predictability.

I don’t want to beat this subject to death –any more then I have, but, if you plan to be a competitor at any level, learn the issues of control and finesse. Learn to work the corners, set your pitches up at the right time and for the right reasons, constantly ask .”why does this work?”, pitch yourself smarter – not harder.

A final note on the subject of radar guns and the like – your coaches are trying to prepare you for the opportunities that avail themselves at the NEXT LEVEL, or even a scouting –op in the near future. As you get older you’re going to get stronger, your endurance will increase and so will your tolerances. Incorporate control and finesse now – firepower will come around soon enough.

Coach B.

Sounds to me as though you still aren’t sure what velo you actually throw.

Agreed.

[quote=“Coach Baker”]
Also, a radar gun in the proper hands cans give you refinement from the left/middle/right side of the rubber for your pitch selection. Using the entire front of the rubber – in increments, can definitely change the Angle of Attack on your incoming pitch and the highest probability of the desired predictability.

Coach B.[/quote]

Explain this more please?

Sounds to me as though you still aren’t sure what velo you actually throw.[/quote]

He’s just stroking his ego Wales, don’t worry about it.

Whats he stroking his ego about?
I dont get it.

[quote=“Jacobs 21”]Whats he stroking his ego about?
I dont get it.[/quote]

Everyone would like to throw faster and as RIstar does not throw 95, he has trouble dealing with it so he has to constantly put himself up. He seems to be a great kid that works very heard for this dream but maybe a little overzealous. Learning to be calm is just as important as learning to be aggressive. Don’t take my word for it.