Stalker 2 gun reading

Purchased a stalker 2 a few days ago. Didn’t have anybody to hold the gun for me. So I improvised and placed the gun on a school bag. The gun was on top of the bag and it was at shin height placed behind me. I was getting discouraging readings like 60 mph and a max of 62 mph. Is this because it was not in line with the flight of the ball so it was giving me significantly slower readings? Or it’s because 6+ months of vigorous workouts weren’t enough? I just need confirmation and help in this area.

I’m assuming that all your settings are correct as recommended by the manufacturer. An incorrect setting is the most prevalent reason for an inaccurate reading. Also, if you’re in an area that has a have a lot of interference, that will affect the operation of your device. Check with the owner’s manual for information about interference.

To see if your device is accurate, ask someone to drive their car in an area where they won’t have to worry about other cars. Have the car drive at, say 50mph, and then point your device at the car and read. Now you have a bench mark to go by. On some models it says don’t use for law enforcement, or something like that, but that’s only designed for “advice” for police and similar officials.

Also, you’re using the device in a straight-on, line of sight mode so you don’t have to worry about something called “angle of deviation” adjustments/calculations. (I’m not going into that because it gets complicated.)

So, if everything is right the way it should be, right out of the box, then you’re good to go. Usually there’s a “default mode” that’s preset by the manufacturer and can be as-is, with little or no adjustments by the operator. Your owner’s manual can help you a lot here.

I’d like to offer some advice about radar guns of this type and quality. These are professional devices that are little or no use to the amateur user. They are complicated and require a need-to-know to benefit from all the settings. Also, they’re easily damaged if not handled correctly. Every professional scout that I ever sat next to had a hard cover case that was used as a storage and travel holder for their device.

I’m going to take a bit more space here to offer my opinions on radar guns.

First off – I’m not a bit fan of radar guns at all. In fact, I hate the things. I know, I know, there’s a reason … many of them in fact. But still, there is so much more to this craft than speed.

The bright-lights that make the decisions to evaluate pitchers, and the general public overall, all seem to be fixated on numbers. Mid to upper nineties, give me mid to upper nineties… and on it goes.

I’ve watched so much talent that could pick apart a batting order, no sweat, tossing in the mid to upper eighties. Watching these craftsmen doing their thing was like watching Willie Sutton work for Bank of America. But then, some phoneme rocket, who I knew, would last for two seasons at best, got all the limelight.

In my opinion, the fixation on velocity is the number one reason for pushing amateurs beyond reason, promotional hype in the Majors, radar balls and radar gloves, and all this other stuff that youngsters and their dads seem to chase after… got to have it.

Take your radar guns, leave-em in the bag/box. Concentrate on good nutrition, set priorities with school work, family chores, and social relationships for the future, and other things that really add quality to your life. If you have talent and are worth looking at, you’ll be spotted because someone needs your services. Play to enjoy the game, play with sincerity and learn as much as you can, study the game and the why-n-what-fore’s.
:bigtup:

I’d be curious to know age/size of pitcher. Might be 60-62 ain’t bad. So far as the use of guns; I’ve got a stalker sport. Never carried to a game & normally only use in bullpens during off season. Think they’re useful tools to measure progress.