Squats-too Much Weight?

I was wondering if squatting too much weight can hurt your back. i am 14 and am squatting 190,195,and 200 pounds eight times each. I have one of them support things you wrap around your back and padding on the bar for my neck, but my back has started hurting. Should i start squatting a little less, or am i fine?

That happened to me too. Lower the weight and work on your form. Or just do form squats with no weight. Then you’ll be right back to squatting your 200 pounds with no pain.

where is the pain on your back? A simple solution may just be wearing a lifting belt.

when something is hurting when your working out, its a signal from your body telling you something ain’t right.

Not always necessarily true.

I’m sure if its lower back pain all you need is to wear a belt to stabilize your back a little more.

If the pain is towards the top of your back up towards your neck then its a question of form.

it hurts in my lower back. I already wear a belt to stabilize my back, so maybe my form isn’t quite right. I was also wondering if 14 is too young to be squatting. Like your body isn’t fully develpoped or something.

Get up from the chair your sitting in then sit back down. That was a squat. You’re not too young to squat.

Your probably slumping over from the weight on your shoulders causing alot of tension on your lower back. Keep your back scooped and drive from your heels.

post of vid of your squat

Heres a video of my squatting form. This is with the 200 pounds. Anyone see anything wrong in my form?

Yeah, you need to go deeper… That would be a good start. I’d bump the weight down and go to at least parallel. The only good squat guide I know of is in Starting Strength by Mark Ripptoe, yet I’m sure someone here knows of a good video on squatting that is free.

Nothing wrong with that as a quarter squat.

Maybe you could try holding the bar deeper on your back since you have it so high.

Make sure your knees don’t go past your toes.

You might also benefit from placing a board underweight your heels. My guess is you have extremely tight hamstrings.

try this out. Take a broom stick and hold it straight above your head. Then squat down, straight down. If your arms and body start to lean forward there is a few things you need to fix.

Until you fix these things squating with a small board underneath your heels would improve your form quickly.

You should experiment with different positions - use lighter weight and try squatting with your feet closer together as well as your knees; this will put more tension on your quads and less on the hams and glutes. You may also want to experiment WITHOUT the belt - it’s not always as helpful as many people think.

Do you have pain only when you squat or does it remain after your workouts?

I agree that you may find raising your heels by placing them on a wood block or weights to be mechanically advantageous, as well as getting the bar off your neck and moving it further down your shoulders. You want to avoid your head/neck flexing forward at all costs - best to look upward a bit to keep your head up.

What will placing a board under my feet do? And if I do, how tall should it be?

About an inch - some people feel more comfortable with a little less, some a little more. The raised heels allow for a mechanical advantage by tilting the pelvis and thus allowing a more stable spinal curvature; you will be able to keep your head up easier and you will probably be able to handle more weight. You will most likely feel that you are targeting your quads more, too.

Ok, and just wondering if you think i should take off a few pounds the next time i squat.

How many reps are you getting with this amount of weight? If you have no problem getting 10 or 12 reps, you are fine. Also, try lifting without the belt - you most likely won’t need it with the heels raised, not to mention there are other mechanical reasons why they are not typically warranted.

Another thing to consider: after about 4-6 weeks of heavy lifting, you may wish to change up your workouts and focus on body weight exercises. They are better for functional strength purposes - especially for pitchers - do one legged squats, skater lunges, and other conditioning exercises like burpees. Very challenging!

if raising your heels drastically and immediately improves your squat form, then one of your key issues is ankle mobility. Raising the heels up reduces the amount of dorsiflexion needed at the bottom of a squat, so if you can get all the way down with your heels raised, that’s likely your issue.

add 30 sec ankle wall mobilizations to warm ups and in between sets as active recovery exercises.

the most immediate thing you can do if you are experiencing pain when squatting is…stop squatting. There are lots of exercises that place less stress on the back and hit the legs (arguably) just as hard. Transition to bulgarian split squat and/or barbell lunges for now, working on back/front squat form as necessary until you feel like you have the form down enough and your back feels good enough to give it another go.

also, front squats may be more tolerable as they keep your torso more upright and reduce the need for good ankle mobility slightly.

Raising the heels isn’t about form in most cases, it’s about comfort and function due to a change in mechanics. But, yes, in some cases there can be an ankle restriction - but not likely just an ankle problem.

I’m curious if you think an unloaded heel raised squat is benefical just as a diagnostic tool, or if you think one should train/load that movement pattern.

how does just transitioning to that form of squatting “fix” the problem, whatever that may be. Even if you load up and get amazing at heel raised squats, is there any transfer back to “normal” squats? Does there need to be?