Spuckler

Lol, today my buddy who has also been looking to pitch was throwing with me, he has been working on a splitter/fork ball for a while know and he was throwing them extremely well today and I thought he was throwing knucklers.

So afterwards I was going to ask him about it because he won’t let me teach him the knuckleball but before I could say anything he asks “How were my splitters?” so I told him “HOLY HELL that was a splitter? I thought it was a knuckleball!”

I thought it was pretty hilarious, it doesn’t dance as much as mine but it still wiggles and drops like one. The drop on it was just sick.

His arsenal now is this:

1. Fastball
  2. Change-Up
  3. Spuckler

He threw me some BP and he kept getting me to take cuts at them in the dirt and it really started to upset me. I screw him up with my knuckler so he got me back with the Spuckler.

put a little pine tar on the insides of your fingers and rub it with dirt till it becomes slick…

A fork ball can also manifest nasty wiggles.

Spencer I had feared you swallowed up by Cally…How are things going?

how does he fold it

Nothing new…you name it, odds are David Cone threw it. He was always experimenting with different grips, different arm angles, different this and different that—and he won a lot of games that way. 8)

[quote=“jdfromfla”]A fork ball can also manifest nasty wiggles.

Spencer I had feared you swallowed up by Cally…How are things going?[/quote]

JD my sig is linked to stats now.

i prefer spit over pine tar, much easier to conceal. :wink:

Whats with the bb’s?

Whats with the bb’s?[/quote]

A lot of time off. :roll: My last two outings have been much much better.

You have to step off the mound and visibly wipe your hand if you take your hand to your mouth

Whats with the bb’s?[/quote]

A lot of time off. :roll: My last two outings have been much much better.

You have to step off the mound and visibly wipe your hand if you take your hand to your mouth[/quote]
whats with the ERA?

Let us not be too critical of Spencer here. He’s only got 6+ innings…give up a couple of earned and your era looks like you’ve been rocked…we’ll see as the innings roll up…my bet is that we have droppage soon, walks now that is also correctable…Let us realize it takes a bit of confidence to post for everyone when you don’t have perfection…I don’t recall seeing anyone really lay out their year like this…we tend to emphasize the positive and convieniently forget what might not be so stout. Remember this guy was redshirted so he went a season without really getting too much compo.
I tip my cap to the nads and confidence it takes to be honest when it isn’t stellar…YET!!! :allgood:

ok

I too throw this.
a few things Ive noticed in my 10 years of throwing it:

*even with absolute ZERO rotation it can be hitable
Ive tossed a few absolute pearls (without nice laces) and they go ctrushed… no rhyme or reason… it went no where.

*if you deviate your wrist/armslot you wont get the drop
you gotta have a nice stiff wrist, otherwise it pops out with slow
rotation …usually a 3-9 spin, and it does nothing.

• once you got it, and you and find that perfect spot you can swap instantly from a forkball to a splitter and theres is a difference…especially
    when you can get the knuckle effect.

quick story.
the first time I figuresd this one out I popped a kid in the face just playing catch…I had been practicing with softballs…
this ball randonly squirted about 8 inches from his chest, to his face on a line…
Ive only have been able to get that rediculous movment a few times.

the trick is to take NOTHING off your devliery…

Yeah I just thought this was interesting I’ll pass this on to my buddy and hopefully that’ll help him out.