Splitter

I have a “mean splitter” and was wondering if it would hurt my elbow if I began using it as one of my pitches. I just turned 18. I was told a couple of years ago by my old pitching coach that a splitter would tear up my elbow, what do you think?

I can control it… I now pitch fb, 87-91,curve, 70-75 and change up.75. I have a lot of pitches fouled off of me.

Thank you for your tips they are extremely useful.

Varsity Senior/Infield

Clayton

i dont see how a split would tear up your elbow seeing as though its just a fastball that you split the seams with

unless u supinate a fair bit i wouldnt worry about it

The only thing bad I believe about the splitter was the old saw they used to throw around about tendonitis in the fingers…some of those guys jam the ball in there pretty deep and it un-naturally stretches…well that whole area…but the wider the split the more it becomes a Fork…maybe blisters possibly…

people say because of the wide spread of your fingers it makes it harder to snap you wrist(as done with most pitches)
therefore putting morre of a load on your elbow

doesnt effect me

it all depends who you want to believe in this debat. some people say they have the proof it hurts your elbow some people say they have the proof it isnt all that bad. Also, if you throw that hard and are a senior you probably hang out with some fine coaches you dont have to get on here and listen to junk guys like kelvinp throw on here all day long, i mean there’s stuffs here that are useful but dont believe anything you read, a lot of it is coming from 15 year old kids that made up their theories about pitching while watching a futurama episode.

hahahaha that is so true 4pie

[quote=“OffSet”]i dont see how a split would tear up your elbow seeing as though its just a fastball that you split the seams with

unless u supinate a fair bit i wouldnt worry about it[/quote]

I think the NPA says it is safe to throw provided you have your thumb in the bottom middle of the ball and not to one side or the other. If you aren’t in the middle then you will supinate. I talked to an NPA guy before I started working on developing my splitter and that is what he told me. If that is wrong please let me know.

You are correct, kidmullen, that is the NPA viewpoint on the splitter.

T. House taught my son to throw a splitter as his ‘change-up’ pitch and it has worked very nicely for him. He’s 14 yo now, has used the splitter for 5 years, and has never had arm trouble or trouble with his fingers.

If you don’t get the kind of movement or command you want on the standard change-up pitches, try the splitter as an alternative. It can fill the same role for some pitchers.