Splitter?

I’ve been wanting to learn a splitter since the end of the season…my dad says just to work on the 4 pitches i have( 4 seam, 2 seam, circle change, and curve) but i just wanted to start. Ive wathed videos on how to grip the ball but i cant seem to get any movement on it at all. What kind of spin should it have and how do i release it to get that spin?

GO CUBBIES!!! :smiley: :smiley:

Pssst…Listen to your dad

A splitter is just another type of changeup. If you already have the changeup just keep working on that.

Hokay…and on the changeup, if i throw a high 60’s low 70’s fastball what speed should an effective changeup be around?

GO CUBBIES :smiley: :smiley:

I just changed grips my self to a splitter for a circle change-up because I changed my mechanics and the circle change didn’t feel right but the splitter works great for me.

I agree with LB. A splitter is a type of change…and if your change is working, I’d stick with that. MLB pitchers throw it because it is easy to learn, there is no pronation of the wrist, and they are all above 6.0 feet. Which is means their hands can split the ball pretty easily.

The key to the splitter is the thumb placement. The thumb needs to be centered between the middle and index finger. Then simply snap/pull down like you would a fastball. Try different placements…with your fingers split over the horseshoes, in front of the horseshoes. Vary the depth of your fingers splitting…

Experiment.

But honestly dude, 4 pitches is more than enough. You can have 4 decent pitches, or 2 wicked pitches…I’d take 2.

:roll:

[quote=“garyalarson”]I agree with LB. A splitter is a type of change…and if your change is working, I’d stick with that. MLB pitchers throw it because it is easy to learn, there is no pronation of the wrist, and they are all above 6.0 feet. Which is means their hands can split the ball pretty easily.

The key to the splitter is the thumb placement. The thumb needs to be centered between the middle and index finger. Then simply snap/pull down like you would a fastball. Try different placements…with your fingers split over the horseshoes, in front of the horseshoes. Vary the depth of your fingers splitting…

Experiment.

But honestly dude, 4 pitches is more than enough. You can have 4 decent pitches, or 2 wicked pitches…I’d take 2.

:roll:[/quote]
I’d rather have one 95mph fastball. Because I’d make the majors on my fastball, the hard stuff is done, anyone can teach you a curveball, it’s the fastball they scout(to a point)